Passport Strikers get €1.74m overtime pay to clear passport backlog!

"During 2010, the printing machine in Molesworth St was damaged due to flooding and all production had to be done at our facility at Balbriggan," the spokesman told the Irish Independent.

These things happen, not always avoidable.

Strikers get €1.74m overtime pay to clear passport backlog
PASSPORT office workers who caused chaos during their controversial work-to-rule action

There a huge difference between a strike and work to rule.
So which is it?

I wonder if the article gives the full picture. Was there any reduction in overtime payments for the duration of the work-to-rule?

work-to-rulers doesn't sound right so calling them strikers is easier! innaccurate but it is the Indo

I wonder if the article gives the full picture. Was there any reduction in overtime payments for the duration of the work-to-rule?

Good question

Also, was there a reduction in normal pay during the work-to-rule?

This bit of creative maths made me snigger somewhat.
11K was the average the previous year. This is an average value so it's probably fair to say some weeks there were 6K, others 16K.

Receiving 4K a day. Well for a 5 day week that works out at 20K for the week. Certainly above the average but probably not that much above the peak week a year previously. Except it's not 20K it's 4K for 1 particular day. There's absolutely no reason reason to believe this number is out of the ordinary or that the weekly figure for that was 4K x 5. My guess would be this is the figure for the Monday and then the rest of the days trail off - down to maybe 16K or something in total.

There was a very long thread about this at the time of the WTR. The wurkers were unhappy about taking a reduction in their pay due to Income levy, etc, they asked for a pay rise and were refused. So, their union came up with a plan to WTR, not strike, thereby being paid normally. It was predicted at the time that they would have to be paid overtime in order to clear the backlog and that is what happened. The result is they all got extra pay, which is what they asked for in the first place. Simple. What a great country we live in.