Passport renewal ?

Silvera

Wasn't sure where to post this thread so .......

Passports.

Mine is due to expire in July this year and the new type passports are due to come on stream from October.

1. If I renew mine in June/July /August I presume I will NOT get one with the new 'chip' included in it ?

2. I have no current plans to travel outside the EU this year, but I need a passport to go to any EU country (other than the UK) ?

3. When renewing a passport can you keep you old one ?
(I did a round-the-world trip in '04 and I would like to keep my current passport when it expires).
If not, what is the procedure for reporting a "lost" passport ? ;)

Thanks
Silvera.

Passpost office will return old passport with new one, duly cancelled of course.

Silvera said:
1. If I renew mine in June/July /August I presume I will NOT get one with the new 'chip' included in it ?

Presumably Not. You could decide to wait, and try for an emergency passport if something came up

2. I have no current plans to travel outside the EU this year, but I need a passport to go to any EU country (other than the UK) ?

Yes, needed for all other EU countries. And if you want to fly by Ryanair to the UK, you need passport or driving licence.

And if you want to fly by Ryanair to the UK, you need passport or driving licence

Doesn't matter who you fly with to the UK - you still need a passport or driving licence as ID.

Thanks for all the replies.

I didn't know that the passport office would return my old passport.
Problem solved.

Cheers,
Silvera.

Redstar, you might like to read this just to carify which forms of ID are acceptable.

My Passport is up for renewal later on this year, does it matter if I get passport renewed earlier, I presume the new one will have the start date when the old one expires?

My Passport is up for renewal later on this year, does it matter if I get passport renewed earlier, I presume the new one will have the start date when the old one expires?

No, the new one will start on the date it is issued. They cancel the old one when you are issued the new one.

Back