Passport posted on Volcano Day, are UK-Eire Postal Services crippled by Ash?

khairabar

Beginning to see why St. Paul change his mind on the road to Damascus. Mossad faked passports, murders in Dubai, visa restrictions on Irish Passport, mltiple airline Schedule changes, insurance fiascos. And now a Volcano. Allah must be trying to tell me something.

Does anyone know what is the story with the post from UK to Ireland, (ie) has the postal service been suspended due to flights cancelled? Or have they a contingency plan, (eg) rail/ferry? No info on Royal Mail web site. Passport (and visa) posted by Syrian Embassy in London on Thursday, the day the thing started. Royal Mail Track And Trace says it "has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in EIRE". Does that mean it is in Ireland? Or waiting to fly out? Depends what they mean by "overseas postal service", is it Royal Mails's or An Post's?

Looks like the only hope is that flight is cancelled, and rebook. But now it looks like the Ash cloud will persist just long enough to prevent passport arriving, but not long enough for the flight to be cancelled (26th Apr), in which case I watch it take off without me. And of course Insurance won't cover.

Is there any way to have an item taken "out of the post", (eg) sent back to the Embassy in London, and me to go into London to colect it during (4 hour) transit time at Heathrow on day of flight??? Or would airline even let me board the Dub-Heathrow leg without my passport for the entire journey? Or any other ideas?
kb

The overseas postal service is An Post.
Unknown if its on a plane waiting to get here or if its already in the country.

An Post say things are 'holding up very well' at the moment. The company is using ferries to transport mail to the UK and say's anything posted up until Friday is on its way to its destination. - rte.ie

Back