passport photographs

J

Jules2005

Can anyone tell me a good place in dublin (dundrum, rathfarnham area) to get your passport photographs taken,.. Mine have just been rejected and i have a holiday to go on, on saturday.

I know its not in your area but Berminghams Camera shop on Burgh Quay know their stuff in relation to passport photos. You're probably going to be in town anyway to get the passport sorted. Otherwise any camera shop would be better that pharmacys or other outlet. There is a good chance that the person taking the photo will have an idea of what he is doing.

Fuji Photos in Dundrum Town Centre do passport photos. Got one done on Saturday, They use a digitsl camera, and seem quite knowledgable about what is acceptable and the correct size of photo etc.
I paid E6 for 6 photos.

The Passport Office has got a lot fussier in recent years about what constitutes an acceptable photo — guidelines are available in .pdf format, and/or hard copy can be had from any Garda station (with a handy cellophane slide-under thingy on the left-hand page for checking the exact dimensions of the face relative to the rest of the photo). I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that they don't yet require retinal scans and other biometrics, as is the case in a growing number of countries, post 9/11, and that we're not yet required to carry state-issued ID on our person at all times — see here for the latest developments 'across the water'.

Anyway, €6 for six photos is pretty reasonable, by today's standards — the price of a pint? It used to cost a lot more ten or fifteen years ago, before digital cameras replaced Polaroids.

Back