Passport for travelling to UK?

Z

z106

Travelling with ryanair tomorrow to teh uk.

Do yo need a passport ?
Or is a drivers licence sufficient?

My friend just realised he lost his and we are travelling tomorrow so not enough time to replace his passport.

Ryanair insist on a passport i think. It should say the acceptable forms of Identification on the booking confirmation.

For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom, to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued either by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.

See attached Ts & Cs from Ryanair about ID requirements.

Its always a good idea to carry a passport to a foreign country.

All passengers must present valid photo identification at check-in for all flights. The only acceptable forms of photo-ID on Ryanair flights are:
  • A valid passport (passport for travel outside the EEA must have six months validity beyond the date of entry).
  • A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. Only the following countries from the EEA issue National Identity Cards which are acceptable for carriage: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (for travel within the Schengen area only) or Switzerland.
  • For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country.

I travelled to Leeds a couple of weeks ago with ryanair on my driving licence. So they do accept that as a form of ID.

There could be a problem there, with the maiden name and surname being wrong. If you can sort out the name change on the licence you shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck

if you've checked-in online then you have to have a passport, if not then they should be okay with the drivers license.

Back