Passport for minor

Johnny Boy

Seemingly if you want to get a Irish passport for a thirteen year old you need the signiture of both parents if they were on the birth cert. If the parents break up and one goes awol, to get the passport then one has to go to court. My question is, Is there alot of hassle in going before Judge or is just a formal procedure? Has anyone gone through this before?

Hi Johnny Boy,

My Mum had to do it for me when I was seventeen and wanted to go on holiday. She was terrified but it really is just a formality even though it's not particularly nice. You have to take the "stand" and swear oath but the Judge just asks you a few questions about absent parent and that's it.

I wouldn't worry about it - once your in the courtroom you'll be in and out in less that 30 mins.

Thanks Boylers
Having that infromation will give the people I am asking for encouragement. Did you need a solicitor?

Hi,

You can go to a Commissioner of Oaths (you'll find one in the Golden Pages) and swear an affidavit (sp?) that you are the sole guardian of the child. This should be sufficient.