Passport for a child(minor)

Jimbob123

ok so my lad is 16,lived with me for years,most of his life,but my name not on birthcert,he needs his passport,so is it a case of me and his mother signing the form,getting it witnessed and thats the process?or can anyone shine any light on what needs to be done,i have got so many answers confusing,thank you in advance for replys.

I can give you the process for getting a passport for a child - whether both natural parents are around or where one has formally adopted the child. But I'm guessing this isn't the case in your situation. Is it the case that the child's birth certificate has another person named as the farther and that person is still alive? Or that you haven't been legally appointed as a guardian / adoptive parent?

The most awkward part in a "standard" application is that both parents need to sign the passport application form in the presence of a Guard (or similar) and with the child present and with ID and a copy of the birth cert. The Guard then stamps / signs the photo and counter signs the form. After that it is straightforward.

If the named parent on the birth cert is around and would be willing to do that, it may be easiest option. If you are an offical guardian - you would turn go but you would need to bring proof. If neither of those is possible, I'm assuming your partner will have to get some form of legal declaration that she is seperated from the father - but it might even get trickier because even in the case of seperation, the father would have to give consent for a passport I think (unless a court has determined otherwise)

This page summarises pretty well actually - including the "guardian consent" element

Back