Passport expires within 3 weeks of travel

CGorman

Some friends and I are traviling to Holland for a week on Thursday 25th. One of my friends passports expires in mid february and someone told her that it will not suffice because the expiry date is so near.

I'm pretty certain that once it has'nt actually expired then she's fine... but I'd love if someone could confirm this.

Also, as a back up, shes prepared to use her birth cert - is that valid for travel. BTW: Flight is a Ryanair one.

(At the moment, she's running for the bus into town to get to the passport office! Would love to be able to tell her she's ok for defintite right now though!)

check your booking terms and conditions, it will tell you how long your passport needs to be in date.

The T&C just state that it must be a "valid" form of photo id... not very exhaustive answer. Would really appreciate if someone could confirm this for certain...

The Ryanair T&E even contains an ad dor car insurance, airport parking and blackjack!

The T&C also says that passengers should re-confirm flights 24-72hr before departure... never heard this before - anyone able to shed some light on it? Is it absolutely mandatory?

Ryanair will accept it as long as it is in date. Some countries don't allow you entry unless your passport is valid for at least 6 months from date of entry but I doubt there should be a problem with Holland. Not sure though

Thanks Sunny - I was 95% sure before you said that... now im 99%! Anyone else able to comment?

you could contact the very helpful:rolleyes: call centre staff in ryanair to ask them. 0818 30 30 30.

Call center would probably try and sell me something ;). Just texted my friend... shes nearly at the passport office... so i'll give the call center a miss! Thanks all for your reassurance.

AFAIK the passport has to have a minimum of 6 months left on it for all travel outside the EU but in the EU you can travel once it hasn't expired.

Thanks... she rang the Dutch Embassy! Had to laugh when I heard! They said "of course it's ok"! They we're sort of surprised at such an obvious question!

ney001 is correct about a lot of countries wanting at least 6 and possibly even 12 months left on a passport. not for an eu country. some eu countries dont have passport control between themselves but we are not in that grouping.

So long as the passport is in date on the day of travel it will be ok for any EU state.

Re: reconfirming flights before travel - yep, have heard it before. If you book a flight months in advance (taking some of Michael O Leary's occasional generosity!), it's useful to check your flight timetable a few days before you actually fly. Sometimes the flight times can change (summer/winter timetable for example), so the time on your email or printout may not be accurate any more, although you've still got a seat on the plane. Ryanair should notify you of a change, but I wouldn't count on it! Always useful to log on and enter your travel dates again to see what flight times are displayed, just to make sure you're there in good time for the rugby scrum that is a Ryanair boarding queue!!

I concur, if you are travelling to another EU country you are fine; outside the EU - 6 months from the date you leave that country

Re: reconfirming flights before travel - yep, have heard it before. If you book a flight months in advance (taking some of Michael O Leary's occasional generosity!), it's useful to check your flight timetable a few days before you actually fly. Sometimes the flight times can change (summer/winter timetable for example), so the time on your email or printout may not be accurate any more, although you've still got a seat on the plane. Ryanair should notify you of a change, but I wouldn't count on it! Always useful to log on and enter your travel dates again to see what flight times are displayed, just to make sure you're there in good time for the rugby scrum that is a Ryanair boarding queue!!

Thanks Gipimann... headin 2 d airport in an hours time. I'm pretty sure the times have'nt changed, because every couple of weeks I checked the flight to see if the price had changed!! It stayed at 1c until a week before departure in the end - and I know for a fact that it's going to have a dozen empty seats because many of our group dropped out due to exams... but they've only lost 24 euro (after tax!). Should be in Eindhoven within a few hours!

Thanks everyone for your help.

Back