Passport Delays

Demand for passports isn't going to go away, so staff are needed. Why degrade the posts to temporary?
To provide extra manpower when it is needed. They are recruited every year, and on previous years when there have been permanent positions vacant in the PPO the unions did not block the temps. In addtion, how many people have left the PPO since the embargo began? Most people suspect it's being used as an excuse.

Why would you want to add a profit margin on top of the existing cost?
There is no profit margin in the NCTS. Like the PPO it is there to provide a service to the public.

Why would you want to add a profit margin on top of the existing cost? And that's without even thinking about the very obvious security issues involved.

The cost of the pysical passport should cost no more than a euro.It would even be cheaper if we went for a wallet sized passport. The rest is the admin involved in processing. I would argue that a private company could probably do it for half the cost.

Are you saying that people working in the private sector are less honest/more dishonest than the public sector.

Passport Delay?

Application sent to Cork on May 18th.
Status as recieved on May 20th.
Printed May 21st
In my letterbox May 24th

It helps if your teammate in a work has a brother working in Cork PPO
And if you had contacts don't tell me you wouldn't do the same to skip a queue

But I was lead to believe that the public sector workers were whiter than white and only they could be trusted to look after passport processing.

As I said in other discussions about passports, let’s outsource this to a reliable provider like the German Bundesdruckerei for example. They have experience with other countries passports and provide reliable and fast service to a high standard.

So we open a couple of processing centres in which people show up to get their passport pictures/fingerprints done, show their valid documents and all is entered into a secure system, than the data is transmitted to the Bundesdruckerei and a couple of days later the passport is either in your mailbox or ready for collection.

And if you are in a dead hurry you can even get a machine readable temporary passport the same day (not valid for US travel).

Why do we need our own passport printing machines, if the machine we have are either broken (beyond repair), flooded or won’t be used to their ability because of some public sector strike.

Yes, there's no reason why adult renewals in particular couldn't be outsourced. All that needs to be checked are (a) if the details match the last passport, (b) if the photos match (and even that is already checked once by the garda/signatory on the back) and (c) if the signatures match. The idea of a citizen's right to enter and leave the country being held to ransom for 5 weeks is just ridiculous.