Passport Card... anyone fly with it?

odyssey06

Going through Passport renewal, I see there is an option for an extra €25 to get a wallet sized passport card as well as the standard passport book.

The passport card is valid for 5 years and should be considered as official ID within the EU.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of flying using this? I understand there can be issues with e-gates but I'm thinking might be handy to have while travelling in the EU in case passport book was lost \ stolen.

I use it to fly to the UK all the time with Ryanair and Aerlingus. No problems whatsoever. It fits in my wallet so I dont have to worry about loosing my full passport. Ive also used it as an id to hire cars.
It doesn't work on the e-gates in Dublin Airport, but I always found them slower than going to a real person anyway.

Yes, I've had one for 3 years, very convenient in that it fits in your wallet, but honestly aside from that at 25 EUR on top of your pp, the value you get depends on how much you fly. Eg, very handy if your passport is getting a visa and you need to travel in the EU during that period.

used to use one a lot myself, but as many airports move towards automatic passport controls (with those machines) I tend to bring the passport, as the ID cards usually wont be accepted.
Great on the gate though for airport check.

The passport card is valid for 5 years and should be considered as official ID within the EU.

It is valid for the Schengen Area, not just the EU. It is very convenient to carry instead of a passport and fully meets the Schengen requirement that you must be able to identify yourself and justify your presence should you be required to do so.

Back