Passport Application Query

STEINER

Hi,

today I brought my completed passport application form, 4 photos and photocopy of existing passport to post office to use the passport express method. The post office clerk said my application would be returned unprocessed as I needed to send the actual existing passport in, not a photocopy. Yet, the website says send a photocopy and retain the existing passport. Rather than ask the passport office, I am just going to send a photocopy and the current passport with the application, I don't need a passport for 10 weeks. It is annoying to be given conflicting information from the post office clerk and the passport website. Anybody had a similar experience?
While I am on, why do they need 4 photos anyway? none of the photos ends up on the passport. I think it is silly requiring 4 photos.

I was in the same boat last week...conflicting info on each thing. I had passport with me at the PO, so just sent it. 4 photos, but only 2 signed, who knows!

Are you serious? One photo is kept on file, one is stuck in the passport and the other two returned to you - don't know why they ask for 4!

They print the picture on now , but need 4 photos.

You do need to send the original passport so they can cancel it.

They also cut the corners off the old passport, so no confusion in case you brought the wrong one....

Everytime I have applied for a passport in the last 10 years the rules have been the same

- 2 photos
- you need to send the old passport to be cancelled.

(I have 3 young kids, so I have done this 7 times in the last decade)

The rules on www.passport.ie that they need 4 photos and no need for the old passport are very new and it seems that they have not past this on to the post office yet.

Best to send in the old one anyway.

I agree, cant see why they need 4 photos.

Lost my passport a while back, needed to get the form signed by a Garda which was fine but he only wrote my old passport details in a manky looking book behind the desk. I presume they pass the details on to the Passport Office at some stage, or am I being naive?

I sent in current passport and 4 photos yesterday via passport express. I dont need new passport til end of July so the day delay was just a minor inconvenience.

Sent mine in already even though it's good until Feb '12, but I'm heading to the states in October, not sure if they'll let me in with a short expiry on it. Also means I have to pay for the esta after escaping paying last year! That's inconvenience!!

The rules on that they need 4 photos and no need for the old passport are very new and it seems that they have not past this on to the post office yet.

They have only recently updated the website and their forms still show 2 photos as they are using up old stock according to this thread.

It was the lady in our local P.O. and garda who confirmed that 4 photos were necessary when we were recently renewing.

I sent the passport express application away on 17th May, got passport back 3rd June I think, so was pleased overall.