passport advice needed.

Mammyto2

Hi All

I sent off for my sons passport last Wednesday 17th june with passport express. Today I just realised that I have to travel to london with Ryanair on Saturday 27th and my passport has gone in the passport express's envelope
This has just hit me like a bolt of lightening this morning and I feel like a complete muppet! It is for a very good friends party and was looing forward to this more than the holiday!

What should I do, is there any point in contacting the passport office or TD to see if I could speed it up or would this just pee them off?

Any advice appreciated

You might be able to use your driving license. did you make the booking before 20th May? ( see link)
[broken link removed]

Blinder

Thanks for that info. I did book before 20th May so that could me sorted, your a life saver!
Now Im really going to show how ignorant I am but is a flight from dublin to London a domestic flight?

Blinder

Thanks for that info. I did book before 20th May so that could me sorted, your a life saver!
Now Im really going to show how ignorant I am but is a flight from dublin to London a domestic flight?

No, a domestic flight is a flight within Ireland.
You need a passport for travel outside of Ireland, the exception being the UK.

THe UK and Ireland have an agreement that travel can take place between the countries without a passport, but you can be asked to show photo ID. You can read up of this by searching for Common travel agreement in www.citizensinformation.ie

RyanAir also have rules about what forms of photo ID are necessary.

Read through the travel itinery and because we originally booked online check-in I think that we would have to pay 40€ each way for me to check in, which would at least mean I could go but if it is only for flights within ireland then it wouldn't work either.

You can you your driving License to travel between Ireland and the UK if you were born in Ireland or the UK. You will not be able to check in on line with Ryanair with your driving License as they require passport for this. If you check in on line giving passport details and then turn up with your driving license Ryanair will turn you away.With any luck your passport will be back to you in the post on the 26th June!

If the trip is that important and passport is not back then book with another airline.
Aer Lingus, Brit Midland Cityjet. Start looking at their websites now just to keep track of prices.

Thanks for all your replies. It looks like I might be in luck, I rang ryanair today and because I booked the flight prior to May 20th then I can pay a check in fee of €20 each was and use my driver licence.
Still hoping passport will be back, on passport tracking it is due 29th which is the day we come back, maybe it will be quicker.

if you are in dublin you should ask the passport office if they need to hold onto your passport for the full 10 days as the application is for your son's passport not yours, they may be able to release it to you in person beforehand, worth asking.

TD just got back to me and passport office are forwarding my passport in post today and sons will follow a week or so later.
Thanks for advice on contacting TD!! Result!

hey dont knock it at least they are actually doing something. It could of just been a slow day for him!!1

This is all self-perpetuating, if the OP had gone directly to the Passport Office herself then this could have (more than likely) been facilitated but because people have previously got TDs to do it then it's the default recommendation so it keeps on going on and on.
If people just did it themselves then TDs could get on with their proper jobs.
Of course, having helped the constituent out now the TD will send them on letters using Oireachtas provided free postage (that comes out of our taxes) every now and again and the OP and others will tell people how the TD sorted things out for them and so it continues ad nauseum!

I see your point Derecko.but I did try to contact the passport office....for two full days in fact but there was no one answering phones after 1pm because of the backlog in work they have,... and the phone was engaged all morning on the two mornings I tried,
I work full time with two small children, Im not in a position to head up to Dublin (3 hour drive off peak times) to wait in the passport office.
Mistakes do happen and we at least need to be able to make representations without having to drive all the way to Dublin or Cork to do that.
I have never heard of contacting TD before I seen it here, but if Im very stuck again then I will use it again and make no apologies, I didn't create the system we have.

wasn't having a pop at you, sorry if that was how it came across, it's the system of using TDs for this kind of thing that i was having a go at.

however, if we all when we booked our flights took out our passports and checked their dates it would help everyone, TDs, the passport office, our GPs for having to deal with all the stress people put themselves through by not being organised when they book their flights.....

Back