passat or golf tdi?

positivenote

Hi all, looking at spending approx 8-12k on a diesel vw as i travel close to 700k a week... was looking at both a passat and a golf tdi. which do people advise would be a better buy, im paying for the fuel myself so mpg is important but alas so is comfort...
any advice is as always welcome

Hi all, looking at spending approx 8-12k on a diesel vw as i travel close to 700k a week... was looking at both a passat and a golf tdi. which do people advise would be a better buy, im paying for the fuel myself so mpg is important but alas so is comfort...
any advice is as always welcome

Second hand Octavia 1.9 TDI is a good option for your price range. Very very economical and reasonably comfortable.

its now called the Jetta..smaller than Passat but bigger than Golf

Unless you have a family I'd go Golf...Comfort or Sportsline model with armrest.

Jetta will probably not hold its value like the Golf and hatchback is more practical IMO.
Also nicer to look at...in comparison to Jetta and Passat.

Golf all the way.
I've had a couple over the years and also had a bora. Never one days trouble with any of them and they all had high mileage on them. (130K miles plus)
Golf is easier to drive than a passat too. not as awkward and big looking

If boot space is important to you ie a child buggy or golf clubs - then go for the Jetta , the boot is huge.
Personally I find the boot size in a Golf very disappointing.

Would go with the golf if no familly etc. Much better looking than the passat IMO. My bf has a high spec one all electrics, sunroof etc picked it up for 5,500 with 80,000 miles its a 00. And I must say it is alot nicer than my dads passat on the inside. And really comfy seats in it! :p

Blinkbele, that prices seems to be too good to be true for an '00 Golf. Are you sure you got that right? Is it a commercial?

Hiya,

Yeah he bought it of his Dad's brother because he got a new one. He helps him sometimes with work and stuff thats why he gave it to him cheap. He owned it from new and was well minded etc.

Id be careful if buying a golf some of them seem to be soupped and ran into the ground :rolleyes:

My other half does approx. 700-800 mls. per week and had a Golf TDi (2003). He was in an accident and the Golf which he loved ended up being a write off. His replacement is the 1.9TDi Skoda Octavia (2005)

Whilst he loved his Golf, he says the seats in the Skoda are far more comfortable , which is essential on the longer drives. Its also that bit more roomy. He would recommend it over Golf.

basically Skoda share the same platform as the Golf, i guess its the image that make people choose to drive a Skoda or VW.

I have a passat sport tdi 130 6 speed. I couldn't recommend highly enough.

A golf with the same engine and gearbox should be a bit nippier as it is a smaller car.

I would go for the passat for 700 miles a week of commuting.

The passats tend to have climate control and a bit more room as ccompared to the Golfs.

[broken link removed] seem to have a mix.

Back