Passat Options

Wexfordman

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a Passat over the next few weeks (not new), and have seen two caras worth looking at, just looking for someones opinion.

The first is a 2007 1.9TDI SE 105BHP, a high spec, but no leather (13.5k miles)
The second is a 2005 2.0 sport TDI with full spec, i.e leather, wood panneling etc looks like a very nice car (40k miles)

About 5.5K Euro cheaper for the 2005. Any recommendations or opinions, particularly around resale of one or the other in 4 to 5 years time, and how easy it would be to sell. Our last car, we have done just onder 20k miles a year.

Regards,
Wexfordman

Assuming you keep it for 5yrs @ 20k pa, then neither car will be worth a lot. Probably only a few hundred in the difference. 1.9 engine is old technology, 2.0 is much better and should make for a much better driving experience for those 5 yrs.

Depends what you want

If you are concerned about the reg more than the driving experince go for the 1.9.

I think the 2.0 keep the 5.5k for other.

Although I think wait for july and look for discounts on the 2.0 as the vrt will go down on thesee, putting pressure on local 2nd hands from uk and NI.

Looking at a 2007 sport 170 bhp s.o passat sport 15 k miles reckon will come in around 25000 after new vrt.

Thanks for the reply guys, the reg does'nt bother me, or the engine size to be honest, I do like the spec of the 05 model which is what has me in the quandry as the price for the 07 was very good (21k inc vrt brought down from NI) or 16.5K for the 05 sport.

What worries me is that I bought a 4yr old car 4 years ago, and because of the high mileage, and probably the second hand market now anyway, I'm having real trouble getting rid of it this time round, and dont want to be in the same boat in antorher 4 years (saying that the current car is an s40 1.8 petrol with 140k miles, I would expect a passat to hold its value better).
Regards,
Wexfordman