Passat in Northern Ireland

slookie

Am looking at buying a Passat up North...'07 or '08 depending on price. I am looking for a list of dealers with websites where I can have a search around. Was doing grand on www.usedcarsni.com but then it started asking me for a password. I've tried doing a search here but to no avail. Any ones I find seem to be for UK mainland and the volkswagen website is only for the 26 counties. Any help appreciated.

Try the Donnelly Group wed site they have a wide range of cars and cover a wide area of the North. Let me know how you get on with your prices.

slookie mate stay away from passats they are a terrible car,we have an new model 06,pile of dirt.my mechanic says he gets them in all the time one of the worst cars ever.we have ours just under a year now and the fuel pump and the tappets have gone,and seemingly the hand brakes are a nightmare as well.just a word of warning mate,our next car is a toyota...

my mate is selling his 07 passat next week. He's looking for a quick sale so he'd be open to offers I'd guess. PM me but you'll probably see it on the herald

Was told that if i do get a car to be careful of the mileage, but I will be buying from a main dealer so hopefully this shouldnt be a problem. I was also told that it will be very hard to sell on the car as it will be on the log book that it came from the North. Is this true???

just did a deal on one today. '07, £9.3k, 13k miles. Just shy of €14,000 all in with the VRT. Including £200 for an RAC complete check. Main VW Dealer.

I know there are risks & the trade in may be worth less in the future but, hey, thats the future, cash is king at the minute, I will likely drive it for 4 years & pass it on to herself (who's taking the current '03 version), who will probably knock a few more years out of it, so by the time its ready for the market the fact that it came from the UK will be the least of anyones worries.......

p.s. Anyone want a 97 Fiesta 1.3 petrol, c105k, 5 door, NCT for another year or so, call it €950. Ideal starter car or small family town car. Given 5+ years of trouble free driving so good pedigree.

Betsy do you mind me asking where you bought it? Were they good to deal with? Did you travel up and down in the one day...am in Tipperary so wondering is it feasible to do this? Did you haggle?

Betsy do you mind me asking where you bought it? Were they good to deal with? Did you travel up and down in the one day...am in Tipperary so wondering is it feasible to do this? Did you haggle?

edwin may in portadown - main vw dealer

hoping to collect it saturday (weather?). haggled a bit with some success (though nothing spectacular since a cash buyer - £700 off). saw written somewhere that should get 10-15% off for cash but prices seem keen to begin with.

seem sound to talk to anyway, maybe i expecting worse given the rep the town had (has?) so expecting them to be good - most of the bargaining done now assuming car report is ok.

am a little further than you and intend to do it in a day with co-driver (since 2 cars on way home). they tell me most southern buyers arrive on train from dublin since on main belfast line & 5 mins from station. but couldnt see myself doing a 2 leg train journey.

check the site usedcarsni were cheaper ones on there but didnt want to take excessive risks for small saving

SO did you just ring them up and say you were interested? Have you seen the car yet? 700 off is not too bad considering how cheap they are anyway! Great to talk to someone who has just purchased up North for advice.

yes, I'd a fair idea in my mind from looking at the website, then ring up & haggle. RAC inspection Thursday so if thats ok then dont see why I wouldnt buy. HPI check from RAC (stolen, finance etc) came back fine.

As you're in Tipp the best offer locally was €16.5K for on 07 passat with 20k miles (in KM's of course) from Pierce's in Tipp Town- which isnt too far off the mark. They were the only ones below about €20k. Was tempted but at the minute 2.5k is 2.5k.

A tip: if you're getting a finance, insurance, stoeln check etc done, and you're using a "mainland" UK reg from a website photo, then ring up and ask what the NI reg is.

Cartell.ie do one for €35, or if getting the car physicall inspected it should be thrown in with that

Best of luck with the new car.

I know a guy flew up cork got a bus to the place with the car and drove home.

You would need to be in good form though.

The only thing I will say about the train the enteprise is one of the best in the country.

looks like a 2 leg train journey on the cards.

the enthuasiasm of my co-pilot left me underwhelmed, so couldnt be listening to it !!

All sorted. Bought Saturday. Paid VRT and got the new plates on her this morning.

Only thing I would have done differently is photocopy the V5 (the UK reg document). The lady at the VRO hung onto it, I only copped it afterwards. I shouldnt need it but it had the last owners name & address and probably other misc info. that might be of some benefit to the person I (or the wife) eventually sell it onto/trade in.

€14,300 all in which is anywhere between 2k and about 6k of a saving. Delighted with it - lets hope I stay that way over the next few years !!:)

Back