Party wall

micheller

Is it an acceptable enough thing to do- to ask a neighbour if they want to split costs for a party wall dividing gardens? I know they might not want to contribute etc just wondering is it a normal enough thing to suggest?
(Currently no wall, just an overgrown hedge)

I would think so.. Your neighbour may be thinking the same but is afraid to ask you to share the cost.

The last time we had to do some work on party wall, we went 50/50 with neighbour, keeping everybody happy.

Yes I think so, my parents did it and the way they put it was " This hedges need to be kept cut back. Do we take turns or will we both share cost of wall?" It worked a treat.

Thanks guys :) I've a feeling it could be a difficult one! :)

I was going to pay for the whole thing until the neighbour came back saying he wanted it pebbledashed on his side! Seems a little bit much.
I know I have to cap and plaster it but pebbledashing?!
So, will try the "cut back the hedge or shared wall costs" and if not might just be keeping the hedge!

Thanks again...M.

Out of interest, is it expensive to get a party wall built? Just moved into our new house and we have a wall on one side and a wobbly fence on the other. I'd really like to get a wall built on that side too..

I was going to pay for the whole thing until the neighbour came back saying he wanted it pebbledashed on his side! Seems a little bit much.

Share the cost of digging, laying the foundation + built wall with blocks.
After that, neighbours do what they want on their side at their own cost, and you do what you want at your own cost.
So, even if they want pebbledash with diamonds, it does not cost you any extra.

Out of interest, is it expensive to get a party wall built? Just moved into our new house and we have a wall on one side and a wobbly fence on the other. I'd really like to get a wall built on that side too..

See this previous thread.
Leo

Thanks guys :) I've a feeling it could be a difficult one! :)

I know I have to cap and plaster it but pebbledashing?!
So, will try the "cut back the hedge or shared wall costs" and if not might just be keeping the hedge!

Thanks again...M.

A couple of years ago I wanted to replace the wall between us and our neighbours, as the old one was falling down. I approached them and they thought it a good idea and they agreed (without prompting) to pay for half the construction. The agreement was that we'd share the cost of construction (removing old wall, constuction of block-built new one), but that we'd each look after the finishing ourselves (I wanted to render and paint our side: I can't recall what they did on theirs).

I'd suggest something similar in this case; share the cost of the actual construction, and if they want some particular finish on their side they should pay for that - that aspect is all on their side anyway.

Exactly how I felt guys. But I'm guessing by the fact that he's come out straight with this request at the start that he won't be wanting to pay for anything. How and ever, one can only try... should be an interesting conversation!

To the person asking about costs...I rang up a general stone masonry company yesterday and for a 2m high, roughly 10m length wall they said around the 1K mark for blocks+sand plaster.

that sounds a very good price, does that include the cost of digging foundations etc ? I have received a quote to remove an old 4 foot wall and replace with a new 6foot one, including proper foundations of 4.5k.

Where are you based and what does the 1k cover ?

Jeez- 4.5K!
I just asked how much to build a block wall and plaster it- those dimensions. Assume it covers everything. Also, I only asked for a very rough guideline. It could be more than the rough quote I got...but I assume it wouldn't go up to 4.5K!

I just got the number from the golden pages- E & S Stone Masonry, and I'm based in Louth... best of luck, m.

Back