Party wall or take ownership of wall

boltownes

My neighbour wishes to buy a strip of land from me for access to the side of his house. He will build a wall to separate the strip from my garden. He has offered me ownership of the wall or he could take ownership. Grateful for views as to best option including opting for a party wall. Thanks in advance.

A free wall. That I would go for. Then you control it. Maintain it etc. No need to ask anyone anything. It will be built then on your side. And I’d specify what type of materials.

He will build a wall to separate the strip from my garden
How high will the wall be - will it offer enough privacy to your garden? What type of finish on the wall - just block finish, wold you be ok with that finish? Also, make sure that it's correctly built - proper foundation etc. You don't want it falling over !

It doesn’t have to be.

True, but boundary issues can be contentious and complex. If the new wall is built 100% on the OP's property with no divider is placed along the actual boundary, over time the wall will in effect become the boundary.

You always make good points Leo. So I defer to you but the point at which the ground meets the wall is simply the border.

You always make good points Leo. So I defer to you but the point at which the ground meets the wall is simply the border.

Who maintains the face of this wall facing the neighbor?
The OP will then need a right of way over the neighbors land in order to access it to maintain the wall.
Very very messy.

Build the wall centered on the boundary and both owners maintain their own side.

The OP will then need a right of way over the neighbors land in order to access it to maintain the wall.
Very very messy.

Assuming a standard garden wall ie. unrendered 4" solid block, now realistically, how much maintenance does a correctly built
one of these require?
Maybe a small bit of pointing every 30 years or so. I think I could live with ' hopping next door' to do it. :)

I've seen disputes raised on this before. Unless it gets registered, then the boundary on the ground will become the legal boundary. So you end up with 50/50 ownership anyway. There a decent consumer guide on the issue [broken link removed].

But in reality, if everyone is happy with the location of the wall, and both parties being free to do as they like to their side of the wall (so long as they don't damage it of course), then there shouldn't be a problem.

Assuming a standard garden wall ie. unrendered 4" solid block, now realistically, how much maintenance does a correctly built
one of these require?
Maybe a small bit of pointing every 30 years or so. I think I could live with ' hopping next door' to do it. :)

4” block possibly 2m high with cappings and piers every 4m.
It should be rendered or weathershield applied so there maintenance on the paint.
There may be none or there may be some but the issue is that the boundary is on the neighbors side.
The legal right if way that has to be established could then in theory stop you from building anything on your side within this right of way without the permission of the other neighbor and you should not be in that position.
It’s just a messy situation all round. I’ve seen the consequences on more than one occasion with boundary disputes.

Reactions: Leo
4” block possibly 2m high with cappings and piers every 4m.
It should be rendered or weathershield applied so there maintenance on the paint.
There may be none or there may be some but the issue is that the boundary is on the neighbors side.
The legal right if way that has to be established could then in theory stop you from building anything on your side within this right of way without the permission of the other neighbor and you should not be in that position.
It’s just a messy situation all round. I’ve seen the consequences on more than one occasion with boundary disputes.

I fully agree it could , if allowed, in time evolve to become a 'messy' situation.

I was merely pointing out that the maintenance on a standard boundary garden wall, which in Ireland tends to an unrendered/unpainted
4" block wall is minimal, if indeed any at all.
This was in answer to your post ( below ) which, at least to my mind, inferred ongoing and regular maintenance, which generally is not the case.

Very very messy.

Build the wall centered on the boundary and both owners maintain their own side.

Back