Party Piece

"Sam McGee " and another of his, " Dangerous Dan McGrew " are time honoured party pieces.

I'd be cautious about doing something like this. Nothing against them, but in my experience the opening lines of these are greeted with plenty of barely audible, uncomfortable shuffling and grunting. I think a lot people hate hearing these at this stage - particularly if they are recited with poor delivery.

My mate used to recite a poem as his thing. It is The Lake isle of inisfree. he would sit down and wait for complete silence. He then would say "I will arise and go now", with that he would stand up and walk out. short, sweet and funny, atleast it was the first two times I saw it!

When we were kids out playing, we found loose pages from a book entitled "rugby songs" blowing around on bin day (my sister and I were 9 and 7 respectively). Every child on the road battled to get a page and we fought to get one too. We learnt off by heart parrot fashion a crude poem, the punchline of which, was why dogs smell each others backsides when they meet.

At Christmas my Granny and Uncle Christy asked us to do a turn and we of course, decided to recite the best poem ever entitled "The Doggies Meeting".

Granny ended up stunned if thats what they were teaching the children at school and had to be given a few double brandy and ports and I don't think we were allowed out till the following Christmas.

Time to resurrect this thread.......performance expected of yours truly........I need inspiration

Have you enough time to learn the banjo?, a couple of simple tunes and leave it at that!

One I witnessed a loong time ago:

Fella drinking a pint takes off a shoe.
Then takes off the sock.
Then covers the pint with his sock.
Then drinks the pint through his sock.
Then puts the sock back on.
Then puts the shoe back on.

One I witnessed a loong time ago:

Fella drinking a pint takes off a shoe.
Then takes off the sock.
Then covers the pint with his sock.
Then drinks the pint through his sock.
Then puts the sock back on.
Then puts the shoe back on.
Awful waste of a pint!

Thanks but no thanks, Firefly

I think I'll file this idea along with the best man's approach as described in post 18!!

You could try the disappearing watch trick :eek: as performed in the film Holy man staring Eddie murphy , def a party piece ( i would love to do )

Thought I was losing it with things being 10 years old. Tell a funny story about someone in the room or a childhood memory if it’s family in the room

Back