Parking Question

B

bobbyjoe

Hi just wondering if anyone knows the story with this.
I'm looking to buy an apartment in the inner city at the moment.
There is no parking in the apartment complex it is only five apartments and the street outside is double yellow lines.
The parking dept of the council tell me the builder would have to have made provisions for parking in order to get planning permission. I rang the planning office they say there is noting about parking in the application.
The estate agent says we are eligible for an on street disk but the parking dept at Dub city council can't give me an answer.
Anyone know how to find out what to do?

thanks

I wouldn't believe the estate agent. From what you've said you have seen the apartment and there is clearly no parking in the development. Unless you can get a definitive answer from Dublin City Council I would probably assume that there is no parking.

The estate agent says we are eligible for an on street disk but the parking dept at Dub city council can't give me an answer.
Anyone know how to find out what to do?
To be honest, that's just not good enough. It's their job to provide you with that answer. I'd certainly follow up with them and get clarification on the status. They may/will require further information (the exact address etc.) and some time to follow up on it (it's not a simple yes/no, there are other constraints [existing number of permits in a building etc]), but they are the only people who can provide/search this information.

If you take a look at the application form, you might have some trouble with Item 9.
Residents of apartment blocks containing more than 4 housing units located in a heavy demand zone are not eligible for residents' permits
I'm not sure of the definition/delineation of "heavy demand zone", so again the City Council are the best point of contact.

Items 7 thru 11 are probably the most relevant conditions for you to consider.

NO! I'm almost 100% certain you won't get parking. If you look up Dublin city council re. parking you'll find that there is no parking provisions for apartment owners. I live in a city centre apt and the bylaws were changed while I was there. Now if I sell there is no parking for future owners. Dublin city council wouldn't even give a disc to a lady who had a down syndrome child that couldn't be brought outside in the buggy because of infection risks. She had to move. If the estate agent are fudging the issue I'd say it's coz they know it's a real turn off and they don't want you to be put off. You never know when you might need a car space. Best of luck with this.

If you are not in a heavy demand zone now, your apt may soon be in one so consider that even if they let you have parking now, they may remove it for any future owners(including those to whom you sell at a later date)

Hi thanks for the replies.
Been on to the council they want to send someone out to look as it is a new build. Fingers crossed but not looking good!

If it's clearly five apartments in the one complex (and the inspector can see as much) and falls into the "heavy demand zone" (I'd be keen to know on what basis this "demand" is calculated) then sadly it doesn't look good.

Worth having a quick look at buying/renting a parking space in the local area (however, usually very expensive) on the likes of Daft. On street parking permits can, sometimes, be no better than no parking in certain areas where you just can't get a space.

Back