Parking in EV Spot

The idea is also to get EVs to leave the spot after they are finished charging. To free up the charger rather than provide free parking for EVs.

Because BEVs and Phevs are notorious for blocking chargers the same as ICEs cars. It's more obnoxious because they know exactly what they are doing.

Someone posted on faceache about a no hybrid signs on charger (in Italy I think). Something to consider.

Just like 24 HR bus lanes eventually they'll be forced to zero tolerance on parking in charging spots. Regardless if active. It's about changing habits. Parking on cycle lanes etc. This is due the sheer volume of obnoxious parking going on.

But that will require charging spots with legal signage. Much like blue badge parking. Though many of these are private land so the owner can set whatever rules they want.

Nope. The fine as stated on the ticket was for parking an EV car in a EV space without charging

Technically that's correct. You have to admit you're trying to use it as a loophole to park. You can hardly blame them for using it against you.

They are trying to encourage people to take the rules on parking in charging spaces seriously. There's certainly an argument for some consideration under the circumstances if the charger is not in use. But that a bad precedent. They often enable them remotely, reboot them etc.

I'm going to guess there were other non charging parking spaces free.

There were no other pay and display spots nearby. It’s a narrow cul de sac with 6 or so spaces.

I did not intentionally park there knowing it was broken to expose a loophole.

I made an assumption once already parked and charge attempted that it was ok to leave it there as it was broken.

I was wrong.

Reactions: Leo
The real problem with EV and Hybrid ownership is the exorbitant cost per KW.This makes a total nonsense of the government’s drive to increase EV usage.
I recently pulled in to the Plaza Fuel stop in Galway to do a quick charge. First I did not have the ESB app and then noted the 57 cent per KW charge. Turned on my engine and drove home , charged for free from my solar system. What a ripoff , who would buy an EV if the only recoup is to charge from the publicly available chargers?

Most EV drivers do the vast majority of their charging at home. That is where the saving is. It's not the only advantage of an EV.

Kinda baffled why someone in PHEV would bother with public charging. Since you bought a car with engine specifically so you don't have to.

Reactions: Leo
Kinda baffled why someone in PHEV would bother with public charging. Since you bought a car with engine specifically so you don't have to.
Yeah, anyone with a plug-in flagging public charging as a concern is either mathematically challenged or raising a red herring.

This happened to me today except when I parked to charge my car the connector I needed was in use. I tried to leave the ev spot to park elsewhere but a car behind me was parked out from the parking space, not fully reversed into it so I couldn't get out of the space despite many attempts. I had an appointment so I had to just leave the car as I was blocked in. I paid for parking and on return an €80 fine. I spoke with the warden but she was having none of it even though I attempted again in front of her to get my car out! Eventually the car owner beside came back and when she moved her car I was able to leave. I have photos of the car parked incorrectly to try appeal but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I am an honest person and I genuinely tried to move from the EV point but couldn't.

I have photos of the car parked incorrectly to try appeal but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I am an honest person and I genuinely tried to move from the EV point but couldn't.

If you have photos to prove what happened then you have nothing to lose by appealing.

Nothing to lose in appealing it.

Playing devil's advocate it's going to be hard to argue against a parking warden who is onsite.

I tried to leave the ev spot to park elsewhere but a car behind me was parked out from the parking space, not fully reversed into it so I couldn't get out of the space despite many attempts.
Did you not highlight to the driver of that vehicle before either of you left that they were blocking you??