Parked Car Incident Insurance procedure

trouble99

I was wondering had anyone any advise on the following. A few weeks ago my car was parked outside my house and a company van drove into it and drove off. They did considerable damage. The incident was witnessed but unfortunately they did not get all the registration number. The incident was immediately reported to the Gardai. The Gardai approached the “Company” in question and eventually I received the Insurance details (but they did not admit responsibility) which took about 3 weeks. I reported the incident to my own insurance company and reported it to their “Company” insurance following receipt of the details and they said they would send an assessor out. The assessor inspected it early this week. I have heard nothing else since. My car NCT is the end of next month and in its current state, without the repairs it will fail. What is the normal procedure with the insurance companies? Can I speed on the process? Has anyone any experience of this?

Thanks a million in advance for your help

You have done all the right things so far. The employee of the company in question is guilty of leaving the scene and the cops should follow that one up.

Unfortunately insurers will take their sweet time about sorting this out. I would defer the NCT if possible. You may be entitled to car hire from the policy (you need to check) if your own car is in a bad way. Other than that I would chase the insurance co.

send registered letter to offending company stating that they were involved in an accident; failed to remain at the scene and that you are seeking compensation for your car (giving the amount, plus an allowance for out of pocket expenses) ; that if they do not send you a cheque within 14 days, you will issue court proceedings against them. Send a copy to the insurance company and follwo through.