Paris Hotel/guest House & Air France

horusd

Hi guys

Can anyone recommend a decent & reasonable hotel in central Paris? I will be travelling alone. Websites for hotels are bewildering with all the options, and I haven't been there for yrs. Also, has anyone used the little air france jet to Paris. Air France are the most reasonable price, but I don't like flying, and am a bit worried about flying on those smaller jets!

We fly exclusively with Air France to Paris and wouldn't go any other way since we started flying with them about 6 years ago. OH studied there so we go a couple of times a year.

We stay in http://www.andre-latin-paris-hotel.com/ which is a small but well located hotel in the Latin Quarter. Quite literally you get on the RER in CDG and within 30 mins get off at Luxembourg station and the hotel is 90 seconds a way. So easy.

The small planes are just as comfortable as the sardine cans AL and Ryanair fly. The difference is you don't have to pay for an allocated seat, or for checking a bag, or for food and drink on board! You have nothing to worry about. AF also fly into Terminal 2 in CDG which is infinitely better than the ancient T1 Aer Lingus fly into and light years ahead of Beauvais.

:) shesells your a star. Thanks for all that info . I'll check out that hotel.

Firstly, have no worries about flying with Air France/City Jet. It is a throwback in time where you are actually treated like a human being on an aircraft! Flew with them last year and having been institutionalised from flying with Ryanair, I was expecting similar treatment. Far from it, you can't BUY food or drink (inc alcohol) on board, they give it to you free of charge. The staff are friendly and classy and it is very relaxed.

The aircraft is smaller than your normal Boeing 737 or Airbus but it's only a short flight and I'd swear you have more leg room. We only brought hand luggage and some of the overhead lockers are a bit small. We were approached by an Air France rep at the boarding gate in Dublin when he saw our hand luggage and we thought we were going to be charged extra because they were too big. Instead, he apologised for their lockers being too small and invited us to put our bags onto a trolley beside the plane which we could then offload ourselves in CDG! As regards the flight, it was fine but the plane does shake a bit when making the landing approach. But, it's normal for a plane that size and you have nothing to worry about.

As regards hotels, you can't go wrong by booking any Ibis hotel in Paris, particularly as a single traveller. Their rooms are modern and biggish by comparison with most Parisian hotels. Reasonable rates but not very romantic, which shouldn't be a problem if you're travelling on your own!

Bon voyage.

Thanks divadsnilloc, all that is a great help. On a funny note I did fly from Galway to the Aran islands on a small plane where you were weighed before you got on and told which side to sit on to balance the plane ! Doesnt sound like Air France mini jet is in that league! I think I saw an ibis in Les Halles, but Il, do a check on them again.

Looking at the Air France prices over a number of different dates they don't look the cheapest to me?

They are for some dates and when you factor in that the price you see is what you pay, taxes are already included and there are no booking fees, no credit card charges, no seat fees, no bag fees - it's amazing the difference it makes.

We stayed here a few years ago:

Not maybe as central as you would like but e.g. about 15 mins by metro to the city centre.

It's a two star - cheap, clean and basic and run by a friendly family: from
grand-mère to petit enfant - absolutely charming!

Depends what you want/expect.

Local area is quite good too for restaurants/shopping etc.

I liked Hotel Edouard VI a lot - both the hotel and the location: hoteledouard6.com.
It is in Montparnasse, just across the tower. A very lively area, with a lot of restaurants, bars, cafes etc. It's not the heart of the city, but fairly central: you could get to the Eiffel Tower, Saint Germain or the Latin Quarter in half an hour on foot, and there is also good access to all the sights in Paris by metro or bus.

Back