Paris: cental hotel for my teenage daughers in June.

kd1964

Hello,
I want to book a hotel in paris for my two teenage daughers in June.
Now I want to book good area, which is pretty central. Someone already told me to avoid the Pigalle/Montmarte areea.
Can anyone advise a good area to stay in, any hotel recommendations woudl be much appreciated.
Thank a million
kATHLEEN

Re: paris

Hi Katheleen. The 8th district is very nice as are parts of the 7th. If they want to be in a lively part of Paris look for something in the 5th or 6th district around St. Michel, St.Germain des Prés, Quartier Latin etc..
For hotels in Paris check out and for tourist information www.parisinfo.com the website for the tourist office. There are so many hotels to recommend..what sort of budget did you have in mind?

Welcome to AAM, Kathleen. There's a key post on Paris that you should read first — and/or do a search for 'Paris Hotels', which will lead you to lots of useful information.

We stayed in the Best Western Eiffel Tower, worked out less than €100 per night. Very convenient. I wouldn't recommend Pigalle either.

Have a read of the key post on Paris.

Thanks for all of your replies. Cost wise - not too expensive but I dont want a dive either. Whats teh average and does the price include breakfast.
Re. the 7th and 8th district, are these in the touristy areas.
Thanks
K

Re: Paris

Hi Kathleen

The 8th district is the area that extends from the Champs Elysées, to PArc Monceau, Gare St.Lazare, Opera, Madeline and Concorde and has the most exclusive hotels in Paris but also has a number of good quality 3*** and 4**** but prices here are very high.
The 7th district extends from the Eiffel Tower to Ecole Militaire and Invalides down to Saint Germain des Prés. Prices depend on season and low season in Paris is the summer months! Avoid taking breakfast in the hotel, Paris has plenty of cafés, bistros etc..where you can get a croissant and café at about half what you pay in hotel + all the "ambience"

The hotel we stayed in was on the 7th district (Invalides). Breakfast (such as it is in France) was around €10 in the hotel. For around €6.50, you could get a coffee, croissant (or tartine-bread and butter) and OJ in a cafe nearby. I found breakfast, lunches and drinks to be very expensive (even compared to Dublin, especially drinks).

I have to agree with you. We were looking for a place to have something to eat ono of the nights we were there, and only looked at the food prices, only to find out later that the drinks (a beer and a coke) cost also as much, if not more than our pizza. We had the disadvantage of staying close to the Champs Elysses (five start hotel, at a hostel price...that was sweet), and everywhere in that area is expensive. Latin Quartier area won't be as expensive, and there is plenty of small-ish cafes where you can get a "baguete" for 3 euros.

Try http://www.venere.com (www.venere.com) for hotels. It's an excellent site and you can search by districts. Also . Well worth a look. Haven't stayed in Montemarte so I can't recommend anywhere. I stayed in the 7th on Rue Cler and really enjoyed it. A buzzing market street (with no cars) and great little places to stop for coffees!

Hi Kathleen

We've stayed in the Comfort Hotel Andre Latin on Rue Gay Lussac a few times. It's reasonable and in the 7th. Close to Luxembourg Gardens. Its the student quarter and good value restarants in the area. Its also close to the Irish College - they keep visitors in the summer and you could check this out also. Good luck

Ollie