Parent Teacher Meetings in School Time

I

irishlinks

The secondary school that our children go to always closes for half a day to have parent teacher meetings. They normally start around 1 or 2pm. There are probably 3 separate sessions in a year.
I always thought this was a bit of a pain and wondered why it couldn't be done in the evenings. I just found [broken link removed] - which basically says that all parent teacher meetings should be held at 4.15pm !
(The circular is from 2004 - so maybe it was just specific to that year - but that would be unusual?). Also this on the ASTI site [broken link removed]
I know the teachers are on a work to rule at the moment and are not doing meetings outside school hours -(ours never did!) - I was just wondering if other schools had parent teacher meetings in the evening?

Last edited by a moderator:
Irishlinks, read it again!

In respect of THREE formal parent/teacher meetings per year;
1. Meetings will commence at 4.15 pm in all schools (each school closing 15 minutes earlier
than normal) and will conclude at 6.45 pm.

Irishlinks, read it again!

In respect of THREE formal parent/teacher meetings per year;
1. Meetings will commence at 4.15 pm in all schools (each school closing 15 minutes earlier
than normal) and will conclude at 6.45 pm.

OK - but we have none starting at 4.15 - they all start at around 1pm. They only have 3 meetings a year anyway (usually 2 whole year groups at a time). Does any other school shut for half a day to allow parent teacher meetings?

OK - but we have none starting at 4.15 - they all start at around 1pm. They only have 3 meetings a year anyway (usually 2 whole year groups at a time). Does any other school shut for half a day to allow parent teacher meetings?

My daughters secondary school has one in the afternoon and one in the evening (after 6pm) every year. Frustratingly they make us appointments with individual teachers but I've yet to see the schedule work so invariably it involves a lot of standing around waiting.

Still, it's only a couple of times a year and the only chance we get to see them.

Back