Parcel Motel

I noticed in the email, they omitted to say they will be an option of returning the credit customers have in their Accounts.

I'm waiting on a package to arrive with them. I am €1.10 short of the amount required for delivery and the lowest top up I can make is €11.85. Better get a refund on the difference!

I'm waiting on a package to arrive with them. I am €1.10 short of the amount required for delivery and the lowest top up I can make is €11.85. Better get a refund on the difference!
So annoying that minimum payment thing was, it was never required initially you just paid as you went along.

I have just emailed them to ask for a refund of my credit seeing they no longer able to provide the service I signed up for. It's only a few euro but it's just the principal of the thing, they must have thousands of euro in customer credit and they never mentioned the return of it in the email they send out.

Last edited:
True, my package racing to meet the 28th December PM cutoff was ordered from a "UK" store whose warehouse is actually in Paris, but they wouldn't ship to Ireland.

True, my package racing to meet the 28th December PM cutoff was ordered from a "UK" store whose warehouse is actually in Paris, but they wouldn't ship to Ireland.

I had bought a kindle cover for my daughter for Christmas. While I was on there, I bought a cover for myself as the one I have will fall apart soon. Bought from the same company on Amazon.

Amazon gave me the option of joining Prime for a week for 99p. Delivery to parcel motel was £2.50 so it was a no brainer. They sent my cover by Prime but my daughter's didn't qualify for some reason. I received my cover, which I'm in no hurry for 2 weeks ago. Still waiting on the one that I need by Friday!

It is not so easy to swap Amazon UK to other european countries. France, Germany, Spain, Italy for example will not dispatch ECHO DOT to Ireland (or Parcel Motel NI Address). Why not ?

It is not so easy to swap Amazon UK to other european countries. France, Germany, Spain, Italy for example will not dispatch ECHO DOT to Ireland (or Parcel Motel NI Address). Why not ?

Manufacturers and distributors are allowed to specify who supplies a region, simplifies the logistics.

We will.

Amazon UK already apply Irish VAT, and no other duties are due on packages under €150. Packages under €22 might even be cheaper than at present, as technically no VAT is due when importing small packets (exemption expires July 2021).

Also, goods coming from an EU warehouse will still be duty free, and possibly accessible via Amazon UK.

The above is all assuming of course that the UK exits the customs union, which is far from clear.

I'd prefer to support Irish businesses, but not at delivery times that are 5-7 times slower. I finished some last minute Christmas shopping on Amazon yesterday afternoon, and some of it arrived today!
It sounds to me like you got lucky. My recent experience of Amazon is that deliveries took on average between 2 and 3 weeks (free delivery so I'm sure paying for delivery would be quicker). This Christmas we purchased a lot more from Irish companies and delivery has been excellent. Lifestyle Sports deserve a special mention, they delivered one order within 12 hours! Most Irish companies delivered within a number of days or a week at most.

The unique selling point of amazon in my view was the overall ease of purchase (of course, they worked very hard at this, people buy more when you make it easy).

It didn't matter if it was bird seed or power tools, I searched, clicked and paid.

I find having to navigate several different sites, 'register', remember usernames, passwords, re-enter card numbers etc a pain.

Some of this info is totally unecessary - why do you need my address and postcode to let me buy cinema tickets?

It sounds to me like you got lucky. My recent experience of Amazon is that deliveries took on average between 2 and 3 weeks (free delivery so I'm sure paying for delivery would be quicker).

Yes, I have Amazon Prime. I'm also in a high density area of Dublin not too far from the new Amazon Logistics depot. Consistently I've been getting orders within 2 days, even for packages that definitely originated overseas. I tried to order a parcel to Kerry and it quoted very different delivery times!

My package racing to PM Belfast seems to be caught up in the UK border and Eurotunnel closure. Initially I read the 28th as the last day for deliveries to Newtownabbey this year (so PM have a few days to import without duty) but now I'm wondering if 28th is when they start refusing deliveries, and the last day they'll accept is actually 24th.

electrical items you may need converters.
A different plug perhaps, but they use the same voltage?

Agree re delivery cost, but FreeUK+Parcel motel was €4-ish and amazon.de is giving me €8, so not a deal breaker as such.

Are there any issues with using Irish bank cards?

I haven't used them since Brexit, but I have ordered from the German, French and Spanish sites a few times. For any expensive items it's well worth heading along to the likes of and see which site is cheapest, in some cases the savings can be fairly chunky.
That was an eyeopener - tested it out on one diy type tool and prices range from €65 to €147 for the same item!

Back