Palmerstown or Walkinstown?

RiceCakes

We've seen two houses that tick most boxes for us in terms or size, garden etc but are having a hard time decide which area to go for.
I work in Cherrywood so access to the M50 is important , the Palmerstown one is right beside it so thats a big plus, the Walkinstown one while closer to Cherrywood overall is further from the M50 so takes about 5 minutes more to get there.
We have relatives in Glenageary and Dalkey but cannot afford there. Ideally I'd like Rathfarnham or Templeogue but suitable houses (3+ bed semi with a bit of a preferably south facing garden) are around 50-70k outside our price range (250k'ish).
Both areas seem ok, the Palmerstown one is in "Old Palmerstown" (near the Super Valu shopping centre and Liffey valley) and seems very settled and nice driving around but we dont know the area. The Walkinstown one seems a bit more working class.

I dont know Palmerstown area at all and Walkinstown I only know vaguely having rented in Terenure for a few years in the past, but like the proximity to Dundrum and Nutgrove shopping centres.

Anyone have any pointers or recommendations about the two areas in general terms?

Have you looked at Firhouse? Its next to the M50 and you'll get a 3bed for that budget

id prefer walkinstown to palmerstown any day but it might just that i know it better.....if 'working class' is a problem you might want to reconsider though

Palmerstown is a nice area, small community really. I lived there for 3 years. close to city centre, m50, n4, public park, playing fields, soccer and gaa clubs, 3 petrol stations, shopping centre, close to liffey valley shopping centre,Aldi, Lidl close by, local shops, takeaways, ulster bank i think, doctors etc schools, pubs, church, good bus service into town. i dont live in Palmerstown only because we couldnt afford to buy there in 2005. walkinsown is a nice area too, i've never lived there though.

Wow Three different replies from three different people, its a tough decision!
Steiner - all those reasons are exactly why we are drawn there, just not familiar with the area at all which makes it feel like a bit of step into the unknown.

Ronan, thanks I hadn't really thought about Firhouse, I'll definitely have a look to see if there is anything there. That would be closest to family on the plus side.

Ricecakes, would you consider Lucan?
If you got something close to the village I would consider it nicer than Walkinstown or Palmerston and it is close to the M50.

I no longer live there but I was brought up in Palmerstown. You mention you are interested in the area near the super value SC. I personally wouldn't be inclined to purchase on that particular side nor would I be interested in the area that leads onto Ballyfermot.

When you say "old Palmerstown" do you mean to the left or right of the Silver Granite?

I also find Kennelsforth Road is very busy and looks quite run down these days. If you settle on Palmerstown your best bet is to purchase near the old primary school.

Palmerstown Village also seems to be a non event these days.

I was visiting my mother there recently and stopped off at a petrol station near the Silver Granite and felt quite intimadated by yobs hanging around.

To sum it up it's an excellent location to get from A to B but you really need to think about what road you are purchasing on.

Good luck.

Walkinstown has much better public transport services, it's an old settled community and has lots of amenities. There's a superquinn, a dunnes, lidl, aldi all very close by, lots of pubs, takeaways, little shops, gyms, doctors, dentists, postoffice, bank anything you need really. I think walkinstown used to be working class mainly, but it's more of a mixed pot these days, plus all the people there are generally very nice, irrespective of social status!