Painting

Cameo

I have a picture at home, which someone gave to me. Thing is I am not sure if it is a painting or a print. I took the picture out of the frame and had a look. I assumed it was a print because the picture side was smooth to touch. However now someone has told me it could be a water colour which means you can't necessarily tell by touch if it is a painting.

The picture is on reasonably thick brown (at the back) coloured paper. Anyone know of a way of determining whether it is a print or water colour other than bringing to an expert?

Thanks in advance

Discriminating a print from a watercolour is an acquired skill and any technique you could use to determine what it is would damage what might be a fine and possibly financially valuable work (so I won't mention possible tests ). There's nothing scary about dealers and art-gallery owners. People who are interested in and work with fine art are helpful and knowledgeable. Just choose two or three big art auction houses or galleries, phone up and ask their help with this piece. The subject matter is often an indication. If its a land- or sea-scape or portrait it may well be a watercolour. Age and painterly style are also indices.

Cameo

Please read the posting guidelines before posting further on Askaboutmoney. In particular please make the headings of your questions meaningful

Brendan

Marie
Thanks for the advice - I'll look into approaching someone who knows what to look for...

Brendan - Will study up before posting again...

The National gallery appraise pictures every now and again ... watch out for adverts in the press ... you can toddle along with your masterpiece and they will tell you whether to insure it or bin it!