Painting Windowsills

Moffo

Hi, As spring has officially arrived ;), thought I might look into painting the outside windowsills.
They are the standard concrete window sills, and have not been painted for some years. After all these years, paint is now flaking off and just wondering do I need to get all of the old paint off completely before I start to re-paint, I know I need to brush with steel brush and sand down, but is there a paint I can use that will do a good job, if I can't get all of the old paint off. Any advice gladly accepted.

Saw a guy from woodies diy on tv3 this morning on the breakfast show and he was showing a new paint that was out especially for painting concrete windowcills, they also showed a paint for painting the plastic pipes on the outside of the house as well.

Use a scraper to get of the heavy flaking old paint. Use a wirebrush and sandpaper as already stated by you to remove other flaking paint. Brush off all dust and particles. For a good seal to reduce the possibility of flaking occuring again. Apply a stabilising solution like the one here [broken link removed]

Then apply the paint on top of this solution when dry. For a long lasting finish, apply a minimum of 3 coats. Don't worry about the old paint, there is no need to take it all off. As long as you have prepared the surface like mentioned in first paragraph all will be fine. If all of your sills are flaking. Id definitely recommend applying the stabilising solution. Its a godsend for old worn window sills.

I use nitromors to remove paint from window sills, its excellent but you do need to be carefull not to splash it on your windows as its quite corrosive. You can get it in MRBC paints in Christchurch, B&Q I'd say would do it either...

BountyHunter.

Back