Painting Tiles

deedee80

I'm wondering if anyone can offer me any advice on this. I just moved to a house that needs a fair bit of work. The tiles in the kitchen are fine as in they are not cracked or anything but they are very dull and dated looking and I was thinking I would like to paint them until I can afford to replace them. Anyone ever done this and know what it involves? How does the finished result look?

Have you searched for existing threads on this issue? I'm pretty sure that it has been discussed before.

I've painted tiles before - I'd say it's probably OK if you are meticulous and very careful with brush strokes.

I probably wasn't careful enough & as a result it looked less than satisfactory to me - I don't think I'd bother again.

Ditto to what Caveat said. I painted the tiles in a bathroom. It's pretty labour intensive - wash with sugar soap, rinse off, two undercoats of tile paint, two overcoats of gloss.

IMHO, while it is fine for short-term covering horrible tiles, it fools no-one, looks amateurish and will start to fail after a while. Mine was done two years ago and is looking pretty worn. If I had to do it again I'd live with the tiles as they were and replace them as soon as I could afford them.

I concur with the above. Painted some tiles in my Dads house with tile paint. Looks exactly like tiles painted. Awful. Wouldn t bother again either.

Well, I painted the tiles in my kitchen and they look like new. I removed the grout first (you can buy handy little tools), washed with sugarsoap and used a varnish roller to apply the paint (specific tile paint). Use very little each time and paint about three times (let dry properly inbetween), I used a matt white paint and it looks really good.