painting skirting and door frames

M

mickman

hi
i am going to paint skirting, door frames and architraves and stairs the following colour in jasmine white.

[broken link removed]

i was talking to someone who works in crown and he was saying you need primer etc . is this true or will the paint above do the trick???

You can now buy one coat paints that, as the name suggests, do away with the need for primer. I don't think the finish is quite as good though.
Leo

Yes, there are one coat paints out there such as 'one-coat gloss' etc... The paint you were looking at seems to be one-coat also. The finish from one-coat on new wood wouldn't be as good as undercoating and then applying the gloss or satin or whatever paint you want on top of the undercoat.

It's a personal choice, that paint might be really good, i've never used that particular paint although i have used one-coat gloss. Why not get a small tin and give it a try and see if its up to your standards. You could always one-coat the skirtings as they are low to the ground and aren't seen as clearly as door frames which are at eye level. Then undercoat and satin the door frames for a better finish. Try the one coat anyways and that might give a good enough finish for you for both the frames and skirting.

if you look at the page on the link above it says number of coats 2. its the new satin range replacing the old satinwood so i would presume its better or at least the same.

another question for you phillboy - i am doing the stairs as well. they are varnished at present. i am applying a walnut varnish to the rail and the same paint as the skirting on the spindels. there is carpet on the stairs. do i have to sand the spindle and rail will this damage it? should i just give a gentl rub down with steel wool

Always painted doors/skirtings with Dulux Satinwood, one coat usually does the trick

i would use some white-spirits on a cloth and rub-down the hand-rail vigorously, these often get very dirty from peoples hands. Make sure to get off as much dirt as possible. If they are in a bad way, a sanding might be in order. After applying the varnish, you could put on a coat of clear varnish to protect it and give it a bit of shine if thats to your liking.

Id undercoat the spindels and give it a coat of the satin, will prob need 2 coats of the satin though (you will see if it covered ok or not). If you are using the previously mentioned paint, you won't use the undercoat, just 2 coats of that paint. I dont think you need to sand the spindels, just give them a rub with the cloth. You can sand them if you want to and it will give the paint more grip.

make sure to mask off on the carpet, do a double mask i.e. two lengths beside each other, which will give you twice the width. Then put down your painting sheets and pull them back slightly when you need to access the area where the carpet and stairs meets.

Stairs done the way you are doing them look great IMO.

ok thats a great help. thanks. the stairs are only a few months old so are not that dirty. if i dont get every single bit off anyway sure the varnish is walnut so will hide it?? what kind of clear varnish would protect it??? would it be clear water based varnish.

i just checked the spindels there, they feel a little bit rough, they were obviously never sanded by the builders painters. would it be best to do them? if so what kind of sand paper should i use?

and lastly i have covered over the space under the stairs with a built in press that is red deal . would this look silly if i painted it in the off white?

If they are rough and new, yes definitely give them a sanding. Use 180 grade sandpaper http://www.sizes.com/tools/sandpaper.htm

Some people say water-based varnishes aren't as durable as oil-based. I'd just get a good quality one. If you want you can give it two coats of the clear varnish.

Just get as much dirt as you can off the hand-rail. That should be fine. If it is rough, then sand it.

Are you painting underneath the stairs in the same colour? Its of personal taste to what colour you paint it, but it should look fine anyways.

Clean the rail first, if it looks dirt free, you dont really need to sand. Sand the spindels and remember to dust off the spindel when finished. You can use an old paint-brush as a duster or a new one if you don't have an old one.

Back