Painting-Protecting walls from splatters

J

JennyQ

Hi

I'm painting the chimney breast a different colour to the rest of the sitting room, can anyone tell me what can I buy or do to protect the old paint from getting splatters all over it, I use the white tape on the skirting but what do I use on the walls?

You can buy a plastic paint guard from woodies or the like. Its just a long piece of plastic with a straight edge and a handle. Then use a small brush for the edge bits.

hi

not sure what to use but wouldnt advise using the white tape on the wall as this will probably pull the paint off the wall

I think the tape is actually better than the paint guard - as long as you take care to apply the tape evenly and remove as early as possible you shouldn't have any problems with it removing paint.

I found that those paint guards can be a bit awkward to use and for me, weren't 100% successful - you may still get drips/smudges

I would agree not to use the tape as it may well mark or remove the existing paint and its impossible to retouch old paint to match.

I've tried the guard and as mentioned above it can also allow paint to seep out.

If up have an anyway steady hand you should be able to manage if you take your time. This is the best option IMHO.

You can get low tack masking tape in most paint shops. That should do the trick without pulling the paint off.

Back