Painting outside wood

dodo

I have wood surround on front of my house, it is peeling so I am thinking of using the other side of the wood, but to make sure it does not peel again what should I put on the surface beofore I paint it.

Prime any bare areas before painting. There are innumerable DIY sites on the web that explain how to properly prepare and paint external wooden surfaces. And preparation is the key here.

I have bought a teak door as a gate. I am thinking of oiling it with Rustin's Teak oil so that it looks its natural colour. Will this be adequate to preserve it from going grey? How often would I have to oil it?

Marion

Marion
Regardless of what finish you put on the teak it will degrade over time due to the exposure to ultra violet from the sun. That said, oiled finishes will probably look better than other paint or stain treatments and they are easier to reapply. Teak oil is a good choice but unless you're prepared to refinish your teak with it each (and every) year it's unlikely that your timber won't go grey in time. Natural (unfinished) teak/ iroko is all the rage amongst trendy architects now, you could succumb! If you decide not to oil it at the very least I would recommend that you seal any end grain with linseed oil or teak oil to prevent "wicking" of moisture into the wood.

Back