Painting outside of house

Daisybell

I need to paint the outside of my house very soon. The paint that's on the house already is bubbling and coming off. Is this because it was poor quality paint used in the first place (just a guess as the previous owners painted it) or would I need to apply a sealer of some sort to the walls before I paint it again?

No just scrape off all loose paint with a paint scraper and repaint this time using a good quality exterior paint such as Dulux Weathershield

Good Luck

Thanks Dobber. I'm hoping to Powerwash the house this weekend if the weather holds up and will hopefully get cracking on the painting soon after.

Hi i think the reason the paint bubbled would be because the surface wasn't prepared properly, e.g. loose paint not scrapped, surfaced not cleaned,and as the previous poster says use a good quality paint.Hope you get the weather at the weekend to make a start.

Thanks Dobber. I'm hoping to Powerwash the house this weekend if the weather holds up and will hopefully get cracking on the painting soon after.

Why do you need good weather to power wash the house are you not going to get wet anyway?

I'd be wary of power washing your house. In effect you are driving water into the fabric of the structure. If you then go apply a coating of water proof paint, there's only one way for the water to go.

Might be a more hard work, but a good work over with a wire brush would give you better results.
Leo

On a similar subject (and I hope I'm not highjacking a thread here). Do you need permission to paint the outside of your house? It's a hundred years old but I want to tidy it up in keeping with neibouring properties, would mean changing from yucky grey to a light beige/brown/yellow.

As long as it's not a protected or listed structure... in which case you should check the terms of the order first.

Would have thought a wire brush would do more damage to plasterwork than a pressurewasher.

Would have thought a wire brush would do more damage to plasterwork than a pressurewasher.

No, just use it to remove any bubbling or flaking paint until you get a sound surface to paint over. Cement render is pretty tough stuff.
Leo

I didn't think about powerwashing actually driving wet in to the walls. Would it not be okay if I left the house to fully dry out, say a week or two after powerwashing before I paint? When I took off some of the old cracked paint, the wall was rusty looking in places as if wet had got lock in underneath.

I would just use a wire brush to remove the flaking bits.

You could always paint on some watered down polybond to the concrete to seal it before painting. It helps the paint to last longer.

One good tip is check the wind direction and move you car up wind of your house and also tell any neighbours down wind as paint when its rolled on, can travel a huge distance in particualte form.
Last thing you want is paint dots all over your & everyone elses car.
All you need to do is tell the neighbours, if they don't move the car, then you've done your bit