Painting new skirtingboard

D

djimi

I am going to be painting some new skirtingboard over the weekend with white undercoat and gloss. I am going to put down some masking tape to stop the floor tiles from being accidently marked with paint, but how do I stop the walls above the skirtingboard (which are painted a different colour) from being accidently marked with white paint.

Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks

A steady hand, or again apply masking tape. You can get low tack tape that is easily removed without affecting the paintwork underneath. Don't leave this tape on too long though, most of these low tack tapes tend to become a little more high tac if left in place for a while. The packaging should have details.
Leo

Get something like a very fine board - like sandpaper or the like and pop it under the skirting board (usually a very tiny tiny gap) and the same for the top and just move it along with you as you paint. Saves alot of time masking up and even more time trying to remove it afterwards.

You can also get a plastic 'paintguard' that like the cereal box you place tightly at the top of the skirting board and move it along as you paint - easy to clean and the paint won't soak through.

I've used both masking tape and the cereal box trick for the bottom edge (nearest floor) when painting skirting but a steady hand and "cutting in" with a good quality brush is the only way to finish the moulded edge nearest the wall.

Some of my skirting boards are screwed on, so when they need to be painted, I take them off, paint them, & put them back with fresh screws & paint over the screws......

I've used both masking tape and the cereal box trick for the bottom edge (nearest floor) when painting skirting but a steady hand and "cutting in" with a good quality brush is the only way to finish the moulded edge nearest the wall.

Me too.

Some of my skirting boards are screwed on, so when they need to be painted, I take them off, paint them, & put them back with fresh screws & paint over the screws......

Your boards are obviously not caulked where the meet the wall surfaces? I have to say I wouldn't like your method, no offence, but that's turning a simple painting job into a second fix carpentry job as well!

Thanks for all the advice. If I do happen to get some paint on the wall above the skirting, is that something I can get off with a little drop of white spirit on a dry cloth. The skirting is in the kitchen and the paint on the wall above it is one of the fully washable brands.

Thanks

Your boards are obviously not caulked where the meet the wall surfaces? I have to say I wouldn't like your method, no offence, but that's turning a simple painting job into a second fix carpentry job as well!

It only takes minutes to remove/replace the boards, and I dont get gloss on the floors or walls. Maybe the fact that I hate having to paint the boards in situ, and paint the walls wit the boatds in situ, has something to do with it. I would not have it any other way........

By the way I recently got my house repainted and we used satin wood instead of undercoat and gloss...looks so much better and much easier. PAinter said all designers use it, (if that's a recommendation)>

NB when painting with gloss....use gloves...disposable ones that the missus uses for fake tan are perfect....gloss is really hard to get off when dry.

Firefly.

Thanks for the suggestions.

fao Carpenter,

Do I only need a damp j cloth to get any unwanted paint off the wall? . I thought I would need white spirit on the cloth.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the suggestions.

fao Carpenter,

Do I only need a damp j cloth to get any unwanted paint off the wall? . I thought I would need white spirit on the cloth.

Thanks in advance

If you've just got a spot or two on and it's fresh I usually find a damp cloth sufficient; if it's anything more substantial you'll need white spirit. I'd second the vote for Satinwood (oil based only though- the waterbased stuff is crap!) I always use an undercoat under satinwood and I always use disposable latex gloves. A really good tip for anyone painting is as follows:
If you're finishing up for the day but don't want to clean the brush yet or plan to reuse it again tomorrow- wrap the brush in cling film and stick it in the freezer (only suitable for oil based paints). This will stop the paint going off and you can re-use the brush up to a week later, maybe even longer. This is very useful and saves a lot of messing around. You heard it here first!

Back