Painting in timberframe houses

Abbica

Ok, after having a tiff there, he says you can paint the house after a week of plastering onto the plasterboard because it is a timberframe, not the same timescales as brick, because brick can be wet, I say no, because it will be too wet still, the plaster that is, surely 2-3 weeks anyway and not 7 days??

IMO paint away. There was only a skim coat of plaster to dry.

I've seen commercial jobs where painting was carried out the next day, ie hotel opening etc.

So, the lads are starting tomorrow with the skimming, so that means, next weekend I can start to paint. bloomin heic, eat my words!!

Make sure it has all dried to a uniform colour first though, even a slightly darker patch means it's till too wet behind. Even with a thin skim coat, there can be quite thick areas in corners, around door and window frames, etc.

Also, make sure you seal it properly with a watered down coat first.
Leo

Thanks Leo, do you mind if I speak out loud about what I am going to do so, am I going wrong anywhere?
Next weekend, hire out a paint sprayer and fill with a watered down coat, cover the windows and spray away, stopping after ever wall to use the roller because of drips, then when the room is done, take the coverings off the windows and take out a paint brush and do around the windows, no doors/skirting etc in yet and proceed throughout the house. Proceed to paint the house the following week??? or should I leave it for two, cover up the windows again, the exact same way as I previously did with the undercoat and that is it?? do we need to do two undercoats, going to paint with a paintbrush in the end anyway, as I want the kitchen in 'Hessian' colour, the hall yellow and so on....

No need to do two undercoats if first one is done ok. And again, if you brush or roll the paint correct you will be fine.

I am currently "rolling" our new (old house redecorating) home so that my wife ...... ;)

You could save yourself some money by not hiring the sprayer, could be messy, your using a roller anyway so consistancy would be the same with the roller. you can also leave edge covers (masking tape) on in between coats.

Two coats ? depends on how the first coat go's on - you'll know when the first coat is dry.

Back