Painting and fitting units over new plaster

gnubbit

Hi,

I hired a guy to do renovations for me (bathroom, kitchen and bits of plastering).

He got in a someone else to do the plastering and over the past couple of days he has plastered my whole kitchen including the ceiling. I'm not sure how many layers/coats.

I'm doing the decorating myself and this guy has told me I need to paint the ktichen before he tiles behind the sink and cooker and fits the units next week. He advised me to apply PVA over the new plaster and while it is still tacky, paint with emulsion.

The renovation guy has said there's no way he's going to wait and he needs to finish up next week. He has been a nightmare to deal with and I can't wait to be rid of him so in that respect, I'd rather get the kitchen over and done with.

I'm a bit worried about this from what I've read on AAM and other websites like Wickes and diydoctor. Will the PVA not seal in any moisture and cause problems in the future?

I'm also worried about him tiling over new (damp) plaster. It's a relatively small area but still... will this cause problems?

Lastly, would fitting kitchen units up against newly plastered walls cause problems (e.g. with damp)?

Unless I get any better advice I was planning to use ColorTrend's primer/sealer diluted down to paint the bits that will be covered by units and leave the rest for a few more weeks before painting.

I'm totally stressed out dealing with this guy - he is constantly giving me a hard time about something and I want to know what I'm talking about when I talk to him so please, any help/advice would be welcome. Maybe his advice is spot on but I've lost all trust in him so can't assume what he recommends is best practice.

Thanks in advance,

g

I certainly wouldn't paint over wet plaster. We had horrific problems with the paint flaking off the outside of our house and were told by an expert that it was caused by the builder's painting over the plaster while it was still not properly dried out.

This thread confirms our mutual thoughts. Personally after the hassle we had I would wait 6 weeks.

Thanks a million Sueellen. I've decided not to paint it. I'll leave it 6 - 8 weeks and tackle it then. Plenty to keep me busy in the meantime.

Hi Gnubbit.. we just had the whole house re-plasterboarded and insulated and then skimmed. Our plastered was a pleasure to have.. he was brilliant. He finished up last Monday and we have already painted a matt white emulsion in most the house (skimming started about 10 days ago so its dried out). We were advised by him just to let the skim dry a few days, (5 or 6 days).

We got a new kitchen in and just gave the whole kitchen area a brief painiting with the white emulsion. No problems with it at all. Paints nicely onto the new wall.

Good luck with it!!