Painting an MDF Dark Mahogony Wardrobe

WarrenBuffet

Hi,

As my subject suggests i am trying to paint an MDF wardrobe which has a dark mahagony colour. I have used this product from Ronseal [broken link removed] (recommended by B&Q) but it isnt doing the job. Even if i gave the wardrobe two or three coats (with the very expensive paint) i still feel it would look patchy / lumpy.

Is there any other kind of paint i can use which people would recommend? Would it be acceptable to use an undercoat with this paint (and if so what kind?).

Thanks for any help,
A frustrated WB!

Is the substrate finished in melamine or a wood veneer? If the a real wood veneer is used I would suggest undercoating in a conventional oil based undercoat, like Dulux Trade Undercoat. Pick a colour appropriate to intended finish colour. Undercoat is available in white, grey, pink and red AFAIK. Then finish in Dulux Satinwood (make sure it's the conventional oil based stuff- the water based product is rubbish). If the substrate is melamine I would still use the Dulux undercoat ans satin wood, but rub down the melamine with 00 steel wool to give a light surface key. Another nice finish is eggshell, very traditional but looks very classy.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Carpenter. Perhaps I should provide more detail on what I am trying to do!

I bought a house recently and in the main bedroom there is a fitted unit which comes from the early 80s (dark mahagony colour etc). It dominates the room so I want to paint it a bright, modern neutral colour like ivory (basically an off white).

With regard to your post, unfortunately I am not fully sure what the difference is between a melamine or wood veneer finish – I am 95% sure its wood veneer (looks like it has a grain).

Last weekend I sanded the unit down with 240 grade sandpaper to give the paint something to hold onto (am I correct in saying that it was varnished? Was told to do this by a man in B&Q!!) Aside from that, if I understand you correctly I should
1. Paint in an oil based undercoat (white) and allow to dry
2. Paint in desired colour with Dulux satinwood (oil based)
3. Give a light sanding between coats (00 steel wool?)
4. Apply a second coat if necessary

When you say an eggshell finish – is this a different type of paint? Also should I apply with a paintbrush / spray / roller?

Thanks for any help – and excuse my probably very, very basic questions!

WB

Sounds like you've got a good handle on this job already. If the product has a grain it's most likely wood, can you check a concealed area by trying to lift off a small piece of the veneer? Either way doesn't matter, the finish will be comparable. Use steel wool to sand any mouldings or detail (where sandpaper won't work). Apply 1 or two coats of undercoat, depending on coverage/ finish you require. Rub down LIGHTLY between coats of paint with steel wool; this is called denibbing- it removes the fine particles of dirt/ dust, loose bristles, runs etc that mar the paintwork. Finish in your selected topcoat. Eggshell is an old type of finish, similar to satinwood but (I think) more appealing. It's a little bit smellier than satinwood (higher VOCs) but is pleasant to use and goes on well. It's a little flatter than satinwood (does actually resemble an eggshell) and is tough. For painting i recommend painting all mouldings and detail trim with a good quality bristle brush; finish large flat panels with a small 4" roller- unless your brush technique is good. With this type of workn I would probably give two coats of the finish paint, for a real quality finish. It's very difficult to get a good, consistent finish in one coat only. Good luck with it. When dry give the units a rub with some spray furniture polish to even the sheen.

Carpenter,

I said i would get back to you once the job was finished. Followed your advice to the last letter (after confirming with the man in the paint shop that you weren’t leading me up the garden path!!!). Have to say it’s finished up a treat. It was very slow work but the finish is excellent and I saved myself a fortune by doing it myself.

Thanks for the great advice,
WB

Congrats WarrenBuffet, you're most welcome. Which finish did you go for in the end- Eggshell or satinwood?

Carpenter