painting a new house

S

sineado

Hi,

We've just moved into a new house. It has been plastered at least 8 weeks (could be longer but it is def 8 weeks).

We have painted three rooms ourselves(bedrooms). We just bought a few large buckets of magnolia and put 2 coats of paint in each room. Somebody said to me today that we should have "sealed" the walls first. Is this true?? Is it ok that we didnt??

Also have the walls been plastered long enough or should we have waited a while longer?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sinead

Some houses will be reasonable dry within a few weeks and others could take 6 - 9 months. Im not an expert on painting and I will bow to the superior knowledge of others but I think you should be fine if you haven't noticed any level of uneven drying with the emulsion you have applied.

It is always wise to leave it as long as possible and for best results a sealing coat should be applied first - depending on how dry the wall is this is not always necessary.

What I did a few years ago when I moved into my new home was waited about 4 months and then applied wallpaper paste to all the walls - I was told that this was the same as a sealer and I never had any problem with napping of the paintwork when I did finally paint a couple of months later.

When I moved into my new house it cost alot to have it painted and I felt I could do it myself. Painter for the estate advised me and said it is best to put a coat of durabond or similar on walls. I did put a could of durabond on plus two coats of white and two coats of the colour I was using. Have plasterer in family and they recommended same.
I'd say your ok for the moment with the bedrooms but do it right down stairs. Also painter said dulux paint was the best.

My painter advised on a sealer because the plaster finish was very smooth - so the finish of the plaster might be important also

Back