paint type for timber soffit

chewyluey

Hi

Quick question regarding timber soffit around the perimeter of the house.

What paint should be used on this ? An exterior matt or a gloss ?

I have a feeling the answer is gloss but I'm hoping not. From past experience, its more difficult to apply and sticky and awkward to use.

thanks

Has this been previously painted? If so the best paint specification is to rub down, undercoat and finish with gloss. Satin and low sheen oil paints are generally intended for indoor use and won't last very long or weather well when exposed to the elements. You can check out the Dulux, Fleetwood or Crown website for further confirmation. The trick to using oil paints and avoiding mess is to use good quality brushes, wear latex gloves (clean up is so much easier) and apply the paint using proper technique.

Thanks for this, helps alot.

Yes its been painted before, I'd wager white gloss but not 100% cos won't be there again til the weekend.

I presume wire brush is best for the rub down ?

To be honest the soffit (part underneath that faces the ground) all around the perimeter is quite sheltered whereas the fascia board is the exposed part. Would there be any logic in using gloss only on the fascia and something easier to apply on the underneath or should it be gloss all round ? (Yes my hatred of gloss is becoming more and more evident I know :) )

Back