Paint Colour Advice

killester

I moved into a new house recently. The whole house is painted a light cream. I Have a new black leather sofa coming soon for the TV room and would like to paint walls in this room- something different! Was thinking of a red colour but room is fairly small and red might make it look even smaller. Anyone any recommendations??

Friends of mine have a similar sounding room, they left the walls cream, but just painted the chimney breast red, looks very trendy with the black leather suite.

You could just paint one of the walls in red and leave the rest as cream. That way the red shouldn't make the room shrink in size too much.

Orchid White is a lovely cream if you want to freshen up the walls and I agree the deep red on one wall. Enjoy!

"Original Cream" from Dulux is a good neutral.
Stick to one wall with colour, but red is boring at this stage. Look for appropriate accessories first (lamps, curtains/blinds, candles, cushions) and then pick the colour for the one wall.

killester said:
Thanks Roxy for the feedback. This room doesnt have a chimney breast.

Ah, pity. I'd go with the other suggestions so and try one wall, or even a large red canvas/tapestry could look very tasteful. Be careful not to go too overboard though in case you dominated the room with the said wall. I'm a bit superstigeous (sp) like that!

Hi Killester,

Congratulations, hope you spend many long happy hours in your new home.

If you check out the Dulux site there's a facility there for painting a virtual room. Hope it helps.

Cheers

Justsally

we painted one wall red which everyone who calls over seems to like but I'm sick of it cause it's quite dark during the day. Just something to factor in.

I got some lovely (v expensive tho) wallpaper in B&Q.

Think it was 1892 or something like that.

Mind, check all your rolls first - these needed to be matched carefully and were FULL of flaws. Unfortunately we had already started putting it up and had loads of wastage.

Paint it all red and make it look like a lad's room......no women allowed!

My parents have a couple of rental properties. Some of the tenants stay a long time and paint the walls themselves etc. Generally it's me who has to paint it back to neutral colours. What's funny is that they generally paint bedrooms really, really dark colours which are a right pain to repaint, as it takes up to 4 coats of paint to cover it. So what I do now is leave the original colour on one of the walls and only paint three and pretend that it was meant to be that way.
Anyway - two which worked really well were one navy blue wall, and another which was a really summery yellow-orange - the yellow orange was in a north facing room and really brightened it up. The navy blue was quite "formal" and is great for framing things put against it.