Paid speeding fine but court summons appears

I

invisible

I got a fine for speeding. paid it within the 28 days. I got a letter back from the gardai saying they could not accept the payment giving no reason. I rang the guards and they said i didnt have 2 pay it. Stupidly i left it at that and a few months later got a court summons to appear in court for not paying the fine. I didnt keep the letter from the gardai and i dont have any proof that i paid. I went to the gardai they say i have to go to court and they are not going to help me. What can i do? is there anyway I can get proof of the letter sent to me? or that i tried to pay the fine? the gardai seem content to let me go to court and get 4 points and a massive fine! this is so unfair! Any advice greatly appreciated

i used cheque but i was fined a few weeks later for croosing a white line so i used that cheque to pay it rather than wasting a new one! so i cant say dat because that makes me look like i break the law on a regular basis which i dont!

So you didn't pay the original fine and that's why you were summoned to court.

Yes but i tried to> They sent it back to me and when i rang them they said i didnt have to pay it. I thought that was the end of it. I have no prrof to show that i paid but it was sent back for no reason.

Yes but i tried to> ... I have no prrof to show that i paid but it was sent back for no reason.
But you didn't pay and now you can't say why they refused to process the fine.

IME the letter enclosing your cheque would have had a reason on it, e.g.

• Licence details not supplied
  • Fine document not signed
  • Outside of 28-day period.

yeah i know it should have but it actually didnt. it said we cannot accept the fine for the following reason and then there was a blank space. I thought it was strange at the time but when the guard said just forget about it i said grand. I just thought the guards had made a mistake and didnt want to admit it.