Paid by cash/No evidence-have I got any rights?...

L

Luisa

Hiya,

Just bought a new house and got some guys from Balbriggan to do my wooden floors.

They supplied the material and fitted it. I paid them by cash and no receipt or evidence,or guarantee.

Anyway, I paid them and then found out that washing machine is too high for the space. Floor Guys ,they measured it before,they said no problem.

I called them twice, they said we will come on Saturday etc. They never showed up, now they don't answer the phone.

I know I should have been a bit smarter and pay them fully after checking properly everything, particularly after the mess they left in the house and the garden.

Could you tell me if there is anything I can do now, I need this problem to be fixed.

Thank You.

Do these guys operate a shop? Are they a recognised business, or is it a 'man-with-a-van' type operation?

In legal terms, the fact that you paid in cash isn't hugely relevant. You still have all your usual consumer rights. It may be a little difficult to enforce these rights.

You main legal option would be a case in the Small Claims Court, but I'd suggest that you probably need to push a bit harder before then.

Did you get the cash from one financial institution? Do you have a withdrawal slip - you should retain this. The small claims court is an option - it is generally free of red tape, and is fairly easy to use.