Package holiday flights with UK companies - Euro/Sterling conversion on board

gipimann

Not sure if this belongs in the holiday or consumer issues thread but here goes....

I recently went to Lanzarote on a week's package holiday. The airline was a UK-based charter company (flying from Dublin).

On the flight, they offered the usual stuff for sale - sweets, drinks, gift items, etc etc. The pricelist was in sterling, but they did accept Euro.

Here was the sting - they used a conversion rate of £1 - €1.69! Didn't announce the conversion rate before they began selling, so passengers only found out after they'd ordered items.

I ordered a glass of wine priced at £3, and had to pay €5.07 (yes, they asked for the 7c!).

I felt sorry for parents who'd bought a couple of soft drinks, some sweets and maybe a beverage for themselves, facing a fairly stiff bill and probably a request for more before the flight landed!

On the return journey, I saw lots of parents bringing their own sweets on board for the small ones!

i've always noticed that the inflight book lists euro prices aswell as stg, did the book not show any other currency?
i always bring munchies for the plane, saves over paying on the flight.

This is an ongoing problem. Last March I flew ex Dublin to Lanzarote on a
flight operated by Monarch airlines. The tour operator was Panorama.
All the prices were in sterling. I requested a Euro price list and was told that if I wanted to make a purchase then the flight attendant would tell me how much it was in Euro. To make matters worse they made announcements that the following currencies would be accepted "sterling and foreign currency including the Euro"!! I pointed out that we were flying from a Eurozone country to another Eurozone country and that in this case Sterling was the foreign currency. Its the same on MY Travel airlines.
In fairness First Choice airlines have a dedicated menu for their Irish flights with all prices in Euro.