Owner won't empty house prior to us moving in

memubo

We are due to move into an empty house (nobody currently living in it), the estate agent has notified the owner and asked that they remove the furniture left in it. 4 beds, suite of furniture and some tables, all which were used when they were renting the house.

Estate agent has not gotten a reply from them and their solicitor is going to look after the signing over of house, so I feel the owner won't appear at all.

Where do we stand with regards this furniture, it will be in our way, can we sell or donate it after we move in if it is still there?

Is it possible for your solicitor to tell the current owner that the cost of furniture removal will be taken from the sale price? Having recently been in the same boat, I paid for a handyman to remove the attic contents (which my tenant had used as storage unknown to me) prior to contract signing as the buyers insisted that this be done.

They are probably worthless to you as new owner. They are certainly worthless to vendor. As others have suggested, suggest to vendor's solicitor that you will deduct the cost of dumping from the price, but if you really want the house, it might be better to dump the stuff at your expense. A skip will cost about €400 and are you prepared to lose the house for €400?

This is exactly what I had to do a number of years ago, it worked