Owed money by a friend

Guelder

Not sure where to put this, so move as appropriate it needed.

About 18 months ago a "friend" asked me to book a few flights for him along with tickets to various concerts - we were planning on travelling for the summer and because he had no credit card asked me to book all the flights, tickets, accomm etc..

Anyways, he assured me he would be able to pay me back, no question about it.

He ended up bailing on me and didn't use one single flight or ticket.

The total cost involved came to about E1,100.

After a LOT of prompting he eventually paid me back about E300, however this was about 10 months ago. Nothing since.

He now refuses to answer the phone to me or any messages. He has also since moved to another part of the country.

I really cannot be at the loss of ~800 Euro.. Is there any legal route I can take to recoup this money like the small claims court?

I don't know his current address as he is renting and moves a bit, I do know his home parents address however.

I feel so cheated and disheartened, it's sickening. I've learnt a long hard lesson from this one.

Any advise guys?

I don't know if you have any recourse on the outstanding monies but please let that be a very hard lesson to you. I myself did similar for friends over the years and would end up practically begging for the money. Now I tell them money first and then I do the purchase - no more credit favours!!

What a tosser. Small claims court is not for debts according to citizensinfo:

"Claims cannot be made in the Small Claims Court for debts, personal injuries or breach of leasing or hire-purchase agreements. The procedure is designed to deal with consumer claims up to €2,000."

A solicitor's letter may be enough to frighten the worm of course.

A friend of mine loaned his 'friend' IR£7,000 and was despairing of ever getting it back. He tried all you tried and eventually he called to his 'friends' parents, explained the story, they put pressure on their son and he was paid in two or three installments.

If you had a good relationship with his parents I'd talk to them. They might even cover your loss and pursue him for the amount themselves. Bring all your receipts etc. with you. I'd use the 'legal option' explanation with them as a final resort especially if they could solve it without hassle.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Yeah, I've been thinking of ringing his parents alright (First of all to see if he's gotten a new number and maybe get his address) if I have to though, I suppose I will tell his parents and hope that they can shame him into paying up, even if it's only 20 Euro week or something, anything at all would be better than nothing.

I'd hate to go down a legal route, that would be my absolute lst resort, so here's to hoping speaking to his parents will help!

Thanks again.

If you have a good relationship with them and they live close by I'd call to them rather than ring. What's the point of getting his new number/contact details? He's doing his best to avoid you and he'll only give you the run around if you do contact him.