Overtime entitlement

JimmydIRE

Hopefully I can explain this and make it easy to understand.

My normal work hours are 9am to 5:30pm , I usually start at 08:30am as it gives me a head start on the day in peace.
I commute to work 45min drive daily.

The company has a new office in Dublin that is opening and I am required for a few weeks for its setup and maybe a while after opening,
the local train station from me is 25min away and the train leaves at 8am and has me in Dublin and at work for 10am.
I then take the 4:30pm train home and I am home for 6:45pm.
I work on my laptop from when I get onto it until I get off between work phone calls so the same as I am at a desk.

I am trying to keep track of my hours, so my typical day is train for 8am, Dublin for 10am and then train home at 4:30pm and at my house at 6:45pm.

Should I be putting in for 1hr overtime per day ?

This seems like something a quick chat with your boss would resolve.

Are you being paid expenses for the travel?

I would think that given the change in your working conditions you should at a minimum be looking for the time when you start work to when you finish, so the time between when your train leaves back to when it arrives back in the station.

The terms of your contract of employment should contain some guidelines here, check what's covered and then have the chat as others have suggested.

Any decent employer will be flexible and recognise your flexibility in helping set up a new location.

Yes all expenses are paid, car park, train,taxi and a carvery dinner.
I am working on the train from 8am and working until 6pm when the train pulls in again.

For me it would depend on the overtime culture and your position within the company. I have worked in places where it was nearly expected to work a 50 hour week with no overtime and other places where the floor would be empty at 5.31.

I would have a chat with your boss and see what can be done. It may be a case of getting time in lieu or some sort of bonus payment upon completion of the project if overtime is not on the table.

You are not commuting to your usual place of work so your working day starts when you leave home in the morning and ends when you arrive home again in the evening. You should be getting paid overtime based on that.

Back