Overseas on Irish mobile contract; want to retain Irish number

Setanta12

Overseas on the continent long-term but am paying for an Irish Red Vodafone 5Gb deal EUR40 a month.

I have a dual SIM work-phone i.e.not under contract to Vodafone Ireland. How can I cut costs but retain my number ?

Without buying a new phone, and from this distance ... ?

If I understand you correctly you have two options;

1. Get the unlock code for the work phone (if possible).
2. Port your Vodafone number to the same network as your work phone.

Thanks Paid.

My workphone is a dual-sim phone so I only have 1 handset which holds 2 sim-cards (it tells me which number (German or Irish number) is being rung.

Can you carry across +353 (0)87 numbers to other jurisdictions? I am paying EUR40 but there are sim-card only deals here for EUR8 but that means a German number usually, if I'm not mistaken.

You'd have to keep the Irish number with an Irish operator. But that doesn't stop you having a much cheaper option.
Do you just need to be able to receive calls using the Irish number, or use it to make occasional calls / texts? I'm assuming you'll use data via work SIM, so you don't need one with a data allowance?
A prepaid plan would probably be best.
Give an idea of what you'll be using it for, and you'll get better suggestions.

I rarely use my workphone as I'm desk-bound. I had my third call in a year yesterday, and I bring my laptop everywhere if I need to answer work-queries in the evenings etc.

I use my Irish number for Whatsapp, twitter, gmail checking, internet _& youtube browsing (I wouldn't want my internet history of checking for rival opportunities etc to be seen by my employer.).

I use my Irish number for Whatsapp, twitter, gmail checking, internet _& youtube browsing (I wouldn't want my internet history of checking for rival opportunities etc to be seen by my employer.).
The internet history is on the phone, no matter which number you use?
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

My workphone is a dual-sim phone so I only have 1 handset which holds 2 sim-cards (it tells me which number (German or Irish number) is being rung.

Can you carry across +353 (0)87 numbers to other jurisdictions? I am paying EUR40 but there are sim-card only deals here for EUR8 but that means a German number usually, if I'm not mistaken.

Have you inserted the Vodafone sim into your workphone? Sometimes the phones are locked to the mobile operator. If you insert a sim from another mobile company it usually asks for an unlock code. If you cannot get the unlock code, you could port your vodafone number to your work mobile operator i.e. both sims would be from your work mobile operator.

You can check your Vodafone roaming rates here - http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/rates-by-country/bill-pay/
*In Europe, Vodafone customers can use their full allowance of calls, texts and data exactly like they would at home.

No you cannot.
Maybe I misunderstood the question. I was under the impression the phone was Irish.
I have a dual SIM work-phone i.e.not under contract to Vodafone Ireland.

My understanding is you can't port your Irish number to a foreign provider and vice versa
Your only option IMO would be to go for a sim only plan or PAYG and avail of the roaming
But I seem to remember reading somewhere that most mobile operators only allow you a 4 to 6 month continuous roaming
If you're roaming for longer than 6 months, I think the mobile operator has the right to cancel the roaming service and sim
But I think that if you travel back to Ireland within that time and you Irish number connects with the Irish network the clock starts again

My understanding is you can't port your Irish number to a foreign provider and vice versa
Your only option IMO would be to go for a sim only plan or PAYG and avail of the roaming
But I seem to remember reading somewhere that most mobile operators only allow you a 4 to 6 month continuous roaming
If you're roaming for longer than 6 months, I think the mobile operator has the right to cancel the roaming service and sim
But I think that if you travel back to Ireland within that time and you Irish number connects with the Irish network the clock starts again

A family member has been living in Germany for three years and is still on a 3 Ireland PAYG. He had an unlocked phone here and just kept the SIM. He's able to top up online and all the usual stuff. I think he may have even had to deal with their support staff and they didn't seem bothered that he was in Germany (since the change to the roaming rules it makes no difference now).

I think he found the available mobile packages in Germany to be less competitive than here

Back