Overreaction to weather

I know some people are really making it out to be the end of the world, but there is a difference between being a bit late home in the evening and taking 4 hours to get home from the city centre because buses stopped running with no notice (my hubby on wednesday).

I dont think that many are overreacting to be honest. This is as they say the worst cold snap we have seen in 30 or so years, probably more. We are simply not equiped for this kind of weather, and its really only the "main" roads that are "clear" for safe driving on. I was on the N7 (between red cow and bluebell) this morning heading into the city and only one lane was actually clear from ice.

I live in Clondalkin village and it has not been touched by any form of gritting or salt. Most routes out of the village are up small inclines, but in this weather it is now sometimes impossible to drive on, as happened me yesterday. A truck going around the one way system couldnt make it through the village and blocked it up for a short while. Busses were completely avoiding the village area but are only now going back in again. The closest stop would have been the Red Cow which is a 40min walk from my home, and trust me i'd rather walk up Everest than walk to the Red Cow for safety reasons alone. I am in work today, gave myself more time and took the Luas (from Bluebell - safer than accessing red cow stop).

I also took the Luas home on tuesday night because I knew traffic would be crazy. There was a 25minute wait for a Luas at Abbey Street stop and then it crawled all the way to Hueston. We even got stopped by Gardai who borded the Luas searching for someone. The Luas was packed, but nobody gave out, we just talked to each other about the weather and we all got home safely. I got stuck in a 6 hour jam last February during the snow. Yes it took me 6 hours to get from Dublin City to Clondalkin by car. I said never again!

As I left the house this morning the temperature was -7. I have never been in anything as cold in my life. Its due to be even colder tonight.

I drive 6 miles of 'treacherous' (this word is overused!) country roads every morning before I hit the main road and unlike many of my neighbours I see it as a challenge rather than a danger. Only once have I failed to get to the main road and I tried it every day. At the start of the cold spell I took my car out (02 Seat) and practiced driving on slippery roads so that I would be calm when things went wrong. I think everyone should do this.

My biggest problem is being behind a slow driver in 1st gear trying to get up a hill (and failing) whereas we need to be in 3rd gear and get a run at it.

Some people have suffered terribly during the cold spell and there have been many road accidents but there is definitely an over-reaction. The amount of people that are calling themselves 'hermits' is crazy.

I drive 6 miles of 'treacherous' (this word is overused!) country roads every morning before I hit the main road and unlike many of my neighbours I see it as a challenge rather than a danger.

Well that's fine if you feel comfortable doing that. It doesn't mean your neighbours are wrong for not feeling safe driving down icy country roads at the moment or that it is not actually a danger.

Well that's fine if you feel comfortable doing that. It doesn't mean your neighbours are wrong for not feeling safe driving down icy country roads at the moment or that it is not actually a danger.

And when the cold snap lasts a month?

Then obviously they're going to have to make some arrangement. But I don't blame anyone for feeling nervous and not venturing out unless they absolutely have to at the moment. I just feel some people who are getting out and about are being very self congratulatory. Some people are terrified of ice and snow, some people are very nervous drivers, they can't help feeling like that and they shouldn't all be lumped together as workshy wimps which I feel some people (not necessarily you) are doing. And the fact that the roads aren't being gritted is definitely not helping.

I think viewing the drive as a challenge is enough reason to not do it, because if you fail your challenge then you are putting others at risk. Most people think people are over reacting until something actually happens to themselves.

I think viewing the drive as a challenge is enough reason to not do it, because if you fail your challenge then you are putting others at risk. Most people think people are over reacting until something actually happens to themselves.

But how long can people use the excuse of icy roads to stop going to work or bringing their children to school? Most roads are driveable with care including mine.

Most people think people are over reacting until something actually happens to themselves.

I just know I am going to have an accident tonite now for opening my gob ...oh well it wouldn't be the first time...

But how long can people use the excuse of icy roads to stop going to work or bringing their children to school? Most roads are driveable with care including mine.

Teatime, the roads in my estate are driveable with extreme care - the problem is getting to work, 35 km drive on a busy and icy road. The difference between let's say, continental Europe and Ireland is the road care. While for me such weather is really normal and I really love how it looks outside, I'm used to gritted and salted roads and pavements when it's snowing and snow ploughs when the things get tougher. And no whinging about missing grit or salt because such thing simply doesn't happen.
It is also about being prepared for this kind of weather mentally - ice and snow are simply not typical for Ireland, especially for such a long time period.
Just one more thing - driving on a slippery and badly treated road is not a challenge, it's potentially dangerous, not all people are strong drivers and will never be - doesn't mean they are bad drivers, just average ones.

All national and secondary schools are to remain closed until Thursday 14 January, Minister for Education Batt O'Keefe announced this afternoon.

The decision was taken following a review of the weekend weather forecast at a meeting of the Government's Emergency Response Committee.

I think viewing the drive as a challenge is enough reason to not do it, because if you fail your challenge then you are putting others at risk.

It is a challenge I have to overcome to get to work, go to shops etc. Yes the roads are dangerous but if you go slow enough and you understand how best to drive on icy roads, you will get there (hopefully). My road has not been gritted/salted once. There is a constant sheet of ice. But people keep telling me the road is impassible and they get annoyed when I disagree.
What is the worst that can happen at low speeds (10mph-25mph) - you could hit a ditch (I already did that), you might hit a harder object and you might slide into another car. The chances are you will be ok if you dont brake hard, dont speed, dont panic, dont turn corners too hard and do keep in the right gear and have good tyres.

The odd thing is that I never ever speed, not sure why, don't like rushing. But when this cold snap ends, we'll be back to the dangerous lunatics on the road and then I will be fearful again...

Can someone answer me a question that came into my head watching the news tonight, which is related to this topic.

The minister said he was closing the schools for 'health and safety reason'. I assume by this he meant that the schools and their surrounding grounds might be dangerous or treacherous? (because at the end of the day, the roads to the schools are nto actually anything to do with his remit). So I'm guessing he was afraid of children injuring themselves at school?

Then on the news we have pictures of whatchildren do when they aren't at school - running around mad and sliding down frozen hillsides !!

If they can do that then they can go to school (just my opinion).

Then on the news we have pictures of whatchildren do when they aren't at school - running around mad and sliding down frozen hillsides !!

If they can do that then they can go to school (just my opinion).

If they hurt themselves while running around mad and sliding down frozen hillsides at home their parents are responsible.

If they hurt themselves while going to and from school or at school, then the school, the board of management and the Minister of Education could be held responsible.

Sadly we are "compo" nation and the claims would be madness.

Teatime, not everyone is willing to take the risks you are taking, and also other people just have other considerations and circumstances. I am not driving to work because one route is closed and the other route has been singled out by the AA as being particularly dangerous. However I am working from home and am definitely not a hermit, have been out walking to the shops and to neighbours.

I've skidded while going slowly and that's ok but another car sliding into me, or going into a ditch would frighten the daylights out of me and if it happened with my toddler in the back I'd be frantic and of course consumed by guilt. It's not fair to her either to have to take 2 hours going to and from creche when it usually takes 20 mins.

By the way, the dangerous lunatics are on the roads at the moment like they always are, except now they're skidding all over the place.

I realise you are probably right, but its sad that the entire nations schools have to close because we are afraid of people looking for a claim

I still think it should have been left to individual school principals or boards to decide, as I know of a school fairly close that is no problem to get to, with clear roads and no ice about (salty sea air to thank for this I believe). So its closed for 3 days when it could be open.

Anyone hear Arsene Wenger's comments at his press conference today, after discovering that another 2nd Arsenal game in a week might be cancelled for 'health and safety' reasons?

The pitch is perfectly playable but its due to consideration for people getting to the ground and maybe hurting themselves.

He said that fear, the notion of 100% health and safety and trying to ensure that not a single person of the 60,000 coming to the game got hurt meant that it might not go ahead. You could tell he was a bit miffed about it, but he's right. Of course if you have 60000 people coming to a football ground a few people will fall and hurt themselves, but do you stop all events IN CASE a single person MIGHT get hurt?

Agree with this - it should have been left up to the schools as per the past 2 days.

Teatime, not everyone is willing to take the risks you are taking, and also other people just have other considerations and circumstances.

AnnR, I understand every situation is different and maybe its my mindset but I don't think I am taking a risk - I am fairly confident I will make it into Galway safely (12 miles overall). I failed to get in on Xmas Day because that day it was physically impossible. It rained at 11am and froze straightaway causing conditions that I have never experienced before or since. It was incredible. I tried twice but had to return to base.

I suppose I see it in degrees of control - I feel in control on a dry road and travel at speed limit. On wet roads I slow down and keep distance. On icy roads I slow down considerably and alter my driving style based on previous experience.

Speaking of "compo culture" (real or imaginary), did anyone see the RTE news reports at 6pm and 9pm this evening?

A personal injury solicitor explained how a person could make a claim from the local authority if the authority says a road is gritted and is clear, but they miss a bit, and the driver has an accident on the untreated road as a result!

There was also concern over claims for personal injuries if householders clear the snow/ice from the footpath outside their homes - if an accident happened, is the householder responsible?

Is it any wonder nobody wants to clear the footpaths if this is what might happen?

When I was younger, any time we had snow or ice, the folks (and children when old enough) cleared their driveway and the footpath outside - as did the neighbours. Meant that people could get from house to house (to check on neighbours) and to the local shop for supplies.