Overpaid by accident

Duals21

Hi all,

Ill keep this short. I have left a company 2 months ago and they have still paid the full salary (60% of it gone with emergency tax). I thought the first month was owed holiday hours and commision. But i got another payment just last week. I reported this with the company and they have told me that i have to pay the gross amount over the two months by the end of this week. Is there a way around this?

Unless there is more to this and some type of error on your part I do not see how they can insist the full sum be paid by the end of the week. You alerted them of the error, you acknowledge the money has to be paid back maybe a reasonable payment plan? I could see that it was not totally unreasonable to think the first payment was money owed.

Personally I would want to get it resolved and not left hanging so it’s either you can afford to repay in a lump sum or you agree a payment option. You did not make the error and have made representation to resolve it depending on the amounts involved a couple of months should get it sorted I would have thought.

I have been told by an accountant in the family that by law i have to pay them back but on my terms. They made the mistake and now the ball is in my court. Would this be a fair statement

Would this be a fair statement
It certainly seems like a fair approach on your part. If the error was on their part then they have some cheek trying to unilaterally dictate some short term ultimatum to you. Tell them how and when you intend to deal with paying it back and tell them to like it or lump it.

Back