Overnighting in New York

zag

I will be passing through New York for work in a few weeks and thought I would visit some friends who live there while en-route.

I'm trying to work out the best airport to arrive at in terms of getting to midtown Manhattan (at least I think it is midtown - E33rd St). Since I will be working and flying in the afternoon or evening I can only expect to arrive somewhere between 1900-2100 so I just want to get to Manhattan as quickly as possible so I at least get to make some use of my Friday evening there.

So, anyone have any recommendations for a speedy transfer to Manhattan - JFK, La Guardia or Newark ?

Cheers,

z

I'd say it probably doesn't make a lot of difference - pick the airport with the most convenient flights for wherever you're coming from - traffic wouldn't be too much of a factor at that hour.

For Newark the train arrives in at Penn Station which is on W33rd - so that's pretty handy

For JFK if you take the train via Jamaica it also comes in to Penn Station .. and if you're in a cab E33rd is pretty much right by the Queens-Midtown Tunnel exit

La Guardia is just closer all round so an easy cab ride at that hour.

I would say Newark. It is not quite as hectic as the other two. You are just the other side of the river and can see Manhatten.

I've gone for Newark.

I looked at all the other options and they all just seemed so much hassle compared to getting the train in from Newark. Finding out the train details wasn't easy though - the Port Authority website goes on and on and on and on about how great the train is, but do you think they give little details like how long it takes, how much it costs or when the trains run ? No.

Looking at the Amtrak site it looks like it costs about $40 and takes about 25m - just for reference.

The other thing that convinced me not to go for s shuttle or taxi was that I will now be arriving in early so I guess the traffic will be that much worse - I don't want to sit in a traffic jam when I can get the train straight through.

z

Zag - you need to look at the NJ Transit site rather than Amtrak

Doesn't cost anything like 40$ ... more like $5 I think (plus a bit more than that again for the monorail to the airport)

Most of the trains are New Jersey Transit rather than Amtrak .. take ~ 20mins as you say to get into Penn Station ... most stop at least once (at Newark Penn Station) en route.

im staying over in new york on the way down to pennsylvania some time in april im just wondering whats the best and the cheapest way to get down to pennsylvania while im there and also could someone tell me the name of a cheap hotel in new york there are so many of them and it is really expensive

Back